Christopher Connor inquest scheduled for Tuesday hearing

cap
cap
0
Have your say

An inquest into the death of a Coleraine man whose body was found in a disused hotel on the north coast last Christmas has been postponed after his family solicitor failed to turn up.

Northern Ireland’s senior coroner John Leckey rescheduled the hearing for today (Tuesday) after being told that the legal representative had gone to Coleraine Courthouse instead of Belfast’s Old Town Hall for the hearing last Thursday morning.

Christopher Connor, 20, a barman from Drumard Drive, Coleraine, died after a night socialising in Portstewart.

His body was found two days after he disappeared just before Christmas last year.

It was discovered by his cousin Simon Creighton in the derelict Montague Arms Hotel on Portstewart’s Promenade.

A post-mortem examination which was carried out later determined the cause of death as bruising and fluid on the brain associated with a fractured skull.

Mr Connor’s family had previously spoken of their anger that the derelict hotel, which is privately owned, was not properly secured.

In court Mr Leckey apologised to the nine witnesses and family members for the inconvenience of adjourning the hearing.

He said his office had made arrangements for another hearing to take place in Coleraine, closer to the Connor family home.

The coroner added: “It is unfortunate you have had a wasted journey.”

Outside the court Mr Connor’s family including his sister Laura and father Christopher declined to comment.

A new hearing will take place in Coleraine on Tuesday.