Pensioner ‘exposed himself to children on Castlerock beach’

A BELFAST pensioner is to appear at Antrim Crown Court later this month for exposing himself to children at Castlerock beach.

78-year-old John Douglas Stanfield of Rosetta Road appeared at North Antrim Magistrates’ Court in Coleraine on Wednesday for a preliminary enquiry hearing on seven different charges.

Appearing in the dock in a dark blue suit and tie, Stanfield had the list of seven charges read to him by the court clerk.

He was charged with breaching a Sexual Offences Prevention Order on July 24th last year by frequenting a place - Castlerock beach - which is likely to attract or be frequented by children or young people under 18.

He was further charged on the same date that he intentionally exposed his genitals intending that someone would see them and be caused alarm or distress.

He faced a third charge on the same date that he intentionally engaged in a sexual activity for the purpose of sexual gratification when children under 13 were present knowing or believing that these children would be aware of his actions.

Stanfield was also charged, on July 4th last year at Castlerock beach, of breaching a Sexual Offences Prevention Order and also engaging in sexual activity believing children under 13 to be aware of this.

He was further charged with breaching a Sexual Offences Prevention Order and exposing his genitals on a date unknown between April 1 and May 1, 2011.

A representative of the Public Prosecution Service said she believed that the defendant had a case to answer.

Defence barrister Alan Stewart said he had no contrary submission to offer at that time.

District Judge Mr Prenter released Stanfield on bail to appear again at Antrim Crown Court on March 29.