Gas fitter denies causing deaths

editorial image
0
Have your say

A Coleraine gas fitter has denied causing the deaths of two teenagers by carbon monoxide poisoning.

Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson were overcome by the gas at a holiday apartment in Castlerock back in 2010.

George Brown, from Ballygawley Road, Aghadowey, pleaded not guilty to manslaughter when he was formally arraigned before Coleraine Crown Court, sitting at Laganside in Belfast last Thursday.

He was released on continuing bail until his trial in February.

Mr Brown, 52, also denied a further 19 charges involving failures in health and safety legislation. They include failure to protect non-employees, such as the two former prefects from Glengormley High School, failing to ensure those fitting gas appliances were qualified, and incorrectly fitting and failing to test that appliances were correctly connected.

Although no details were given to the court it is alleged the work was carried out across the north Antrim and County Londonderry coasts in the months ahead of the double tragedy. This work not only involved the holiday home in which the teenagers were staying, but 14 other premises.