How safe is your electric blanket? Get a free check

editorial image

Coleraine Borough Council’s Home Safety Officer, also safety officer for Ballymoney and Moyle Councils, is encouraging local residents to have their electric blankets checked, before the winter season arrives.

A free check of your electric blanket will be available on Tuesday, October 21 at Coleraine Borough Council’s Cloonavin Headquarters from 10am to 4pm.

Following a series of safety events, accident prevention campaigners have stated that electric blankets are putting too many people across Northern Ireland at risk of injury and fire. Nearly three-quarters of electric blankets tested by members of the Home Accident Prevention (HAP), failed safety checks last year.

David Adams, Home Safety Officer for Coleraine Borough Council, Ballymoney and Moyle Councils commented, “HAP Coleraine is urging all electric blanket owners to have their blankets serviced regularly. A total of 1,194 blankets were tested across the country from September to November in 2013.

“Of these blankets, 870 or 73 per cent failed the tests because of faulty or damaged enclosures which insulate the heating elements. Other failings included faulty power cords, no overheat protection or faulty controllers. In 2010, the failure rate in similar safety testing events was around 60 per cent.

The HAP Group will be in Coleraine Borough Council Civic Headquarters on Tuesday, October 21 from 10am to 4pm in the Bann Gallery.