JURY SWORN IN

editorial image
0
Have your say

A BELFAST JURY was sworn in yesterday (Monday) for the Antrim trial of a 49-year-old man accused of the murder of 51-year-old mother of four Marion Millican on March 11 last year.

However, the Crown Court trial of Fred McClenaghan, who denies murder, will not start until Wednesday of next week for legal reason and because of the extended Bank Holiday break for the Queen’s Jubilee.

McClenaghan, from Broad Street, Magherafelt, was remanded back into custody until then.

No details were given to the jury of nine men and three women by Antrim Crown Court Judge Corinne Philpott QC, of the circumstances surrounding the tragic shooting, save that Mrs Millican was shot in the Portstewart launderette where she worked.

As part of the jury selection, 48 of nearly sixty witnesses including one of Mrs Millican’s daughters, Suzanne Davis and her former husband Ken Millican, expected to give evidence during the month-long trial, were paraded in front of the panel.

Judge Philpott said this was necessary to establish that the jurors knew none of them, or anything else about the case before it begins.

In addition the judge said that they should not discuss the case with anyone, or attempt to gain any knowledge from the internet as this could lead to a contempt of court.

Judge Philpott told the jury it was for them and them alone to come to a verdict in the case based on, and only on the evidence they would hear in court and not on the opinion or views of others.