THERE has been a further delay in the Kevin McDaid murder trial.
Twelve men have been charged in connection with the killing of the 49-year-old Catholic father of four in May 2009.
The case had been due to be heard at Ballymena Court last week but was put back again until October 27.
The Public Prosecution Service said that the defendants’ legal teams had applied for more time to read documents they were given last year.
A spokeswoman said: “The PPS wasa ready to proceed with the committal hearing on Tuesday, however, the court agreed to a defence application for a further adjournment to allow time for the defence to read the disclosure papers which were served in October 2012 and further papers which were made available to the defence on July 8 this year.
Court Service said the issue of continued delays was a matter for the respective legal times.
Mr McDaid died following an altercation near his home.
Trouble flared after Rangers beat Celtic to the Scottish Premier League title.
Mr McDaid’s death led to an escalation in tensions in the Heights area.
It’s believed the trial, when it comes to court, could last months.