Portstewart Strand has been named as one of the best beaches in the UK for safe swimming.
Coast Magazine ranked the local beauty spot as the best for ‘safe swimming’ for children.
According to site manager Toby Edwards, Portstewart is the safest beach he’s ever worked on, owing to the fact that there are very few near-shore currents, making it perfect for children.
The strand is also well lifeguarded during the season, and National Trust staff clean the two-mile expanse every day by hand.
The other winners were:
1.For piers and donkeys: Blackpool, Lancashire
2. For safe swimming: Portstewart Strand, County Londonderry
3. For sandcastle building Blackpool Sands, Dartmouth, Devon
4. For fossils and Old Jack: Runswick Bay, Near Staithes, North Yorkshire
5. For kids surfing: Sennen Cove, Cornwall
6. For boat trips: North Berwick, East Lothian
7. For rides and ice cream: Viking Bay, Broadstairs, Kent
8. For white sand and rockpools: Whitesands Beach, Near St Davids, Pembrokeshire
9. For outdoor events: Studland Beach, Near Swanage, Dorset
10. For secret caves: Tynemouth & Cullercoats, North Tyneside