Restrictions on annual Battle of the Somme parade

Press Eye � Belfast - Northern Ireland
Thursday 16nd March 2017
Photo by Freddie Parkinson / Press Eye �
Six men arrested after 'serious assault' in Co Antrim bar.
Police said that at around 6pm a group of men entered McConnell's Bar on Main Street in Doagh with weapons including hammers and baseball bats before attacking a man in his 40s.
The man was taken to hospital where he's being treated for serious but non-life threatening injuries.
Detective Sergeant Robinson said: "We believe that the males then left the scene on foot to waiting cars and left the area.
Press Eye � Belfast - Northern Ireland Thursday 16nd March 2017 Photo by Freddie Parkinson / Press Eye � Six men arrested after 'serious assault' in Co Antrim bar. Police said that at around 6pm a group of men entered McConnell's Bar on Main Street in Doagh with weapons including hammers and baseball bats before attacking a man in his 40s. The man was taken to hospital where he's being treated for serious but non-life threatening injuries. Detective Sergeant Robinson said: "We believe that the males then left the scene on foot to waiting cars and left the area.
0
Have your say

This year’s Battle of the Somme parade in Coleraine will not be permitted to parade around the Heights, the Parades Commission has ruled.

The annual parade, organised by Killowen Lodge, commemorates the First World War and includes a wreath laying service at the cenotaph.

In their determination the Parades Commission refer to ‘hostile exchanges’ during last year’s parade and note that 19 arrests were made.

As a result of the determination, the parade will not turn left into Pates, but instead, continue along Killowen Street towards Waterside.

The ruling has angered many Unionist politicians.

Coleraine PUP councillor Russell Watton told The Times he was ‘disgusted’ with the decision, and pointed out that the parade had taken place in Coleraine, with the same route, for the past forty years.

“This is the first time any restriction has been placed on this parade.

“I am disgusted that this has happened.

“The Parades Commision have rewarded the wreckers in our society, they are out to break the backs of loyalist people in Coleraine,” he said.