COLERAINE’S Caring Caretaker, Davy Boyle, MBE, is The Coleraine Times Person to Be Proud Of.
When the hundreds of text votes were finally counted last Tuesday night the popular Town Hall caretaker emerged as our deserving winner.
A thrilled Davy told The Coleraine Times: “I can’t believe it!
“I hoped I would get into the top three but I can’t explain how I feel, I’m delighted.
“I want to thank everyone who voted for me and all those who have supported my charities down the years.”
Among the fantastic prizes Davy will receive are a night away at The Everglades Hotel in Londonderry, courtesy of Hastings Hotels, a beautiful Citizen-Eco Watch from David Martin Jewellers...and some surfing lessons!
“It will be lovely to have a romantic night in a hotel. Teresa and I are married 38 years this August so that will be something special.
“I’m looking forward to the surfing too and hope to turn it into some sort of fundraiser for my charities this year.
“I want to congratulate all the others who were shortlisted for the award. I think they all deserve to be recognised for what they do for the community.”
Coleraine Times Editor, David Rankin, said: “When it comes to local fundraising and supporting charities Davy Boyle is in a class of his own.
“His humility is truly inspirational and Coleraine should be very proud to count him as one of its outstanding citizens.
“His annual Christmas sit out has become an iconic part of the town’s Christmas celebrations. Who else would sit out in sub-zero temperatures year in, year out, but Davy?
“His generosity, selflessness and big heart made him the people’s choice for this award.
“On behalf of the newspaper I wish to thank all those who voted and all of the other eight finalists who deserve tremendous recognition for their commitment in making the borough a better place to live.”
For the past 11 years Davy Boyle’s various fundraising events have raised a staggering £347,000 for charity.
His 2011 sit out amassed £28,000, making his total fundraising for the year £54,000.
This year Davy will raise money for Chest Heart and Stroke, Ulster Cancer Foundation, Northern Ireland Children to Lapland, Defibrillator At The Heart of Every Game, Community Rescue Service, Spina Bifida, Friends of Willowbrook, The Blind Centre and Callum’s Chance of Sight.
These are all
* HOTEL GETAWAY: One night bed and breakfast and an evening meal at The Everglades Hotel, Londonderry, courtesy of Hastings Hotels.
* TIMEPIECE TO TREASURE: A Gents Citizen Eco-Watch (with optional, complimentary engraving) from David Martin Jewellers, Coleraine.
* NIGHT AT THE THEATRE: Two tickets to a show of your choice at The Riverside Theatre, Coleraine to include complimentary drinks at the bar during the interval or free tea, coffee and ice cream.
* FAMILY FUN: A family cinema ticket and ten pin bowling for four at The Jet Centre, complex Coleraine.
* PORTRAIT: A family or personal portrait by Paul Nash Photography. A stunning colour or black and white print
* TRY SOMETHING NEW: A group of four surf lessons, for adults or children, courtesy of the award-winning Alive Surf School, Portrush. Enjoy days out at our beautiful beaches and learn to surf with tutor and surf school owner, Ricky Martin