AS part of Coleraine Borough Council’s Coleraine 400 programme a learning resource will be launched this Autumn.
This learning resource focuses on 17th century Coleraine, taking into account how the town was built, the importance of the River Bann, and what was in the town before the 17thcentury.
The story of the bridge across the River Bann has an interesting history. Initially a bridge was built across the River Bann in 1248 but was later burned and destroyed in 1315 as a result of the Bruce invasion. Throughout most of the 17thcentury there was no bridge across the River, instead a ferry transported people across. The use of the ferry generated an income and allowed another method of controlling who was coming into the town. The ferry is remembered today at Ferryquay place, where a Round the Ramparts sign marks its location. A Coleraine 400 plaque is due to be installed in a similar location in the Autumn of 2013.
Records tell us that William Jackson built a bridge across the Bann in 1673. Another bridge was erected in 1716 and taken down in 1843. The stone bridge, which we still have today, was completed in 1844.