Marian bounce back with win

Have your say

The Marian put last week’s surprise defeat to the back of their minds with a great win over old rivals Loughanreagh to reach the semi-final of the Morrison Trophy.

In the first game Joe Martin (Marian) lost to Edwin Irwin (L’reagh) 4 shots to 11 shots. James Martin (Marian) then defeated Ian Ross (L’reagh) 13 shots to five to leave the hosts 12 shots up at the break. In the second half William McCaw (Marian) won his game with Alastair Steele (L’reagh) by 11 shots and Brian McAlary (Marian) made it a clean sweep with a 15 shots to 4 shots victory against Alan Irwin (L’reagh).

The Marian’s opponents it the semi-final will be St. Colman’s who had a very comfortable win over Division 2 opposition, First Coleraine. David Walker (St. Colman’s), won by 10 shots against Robert Campbell (1st. C’raine). Bryan Shaw gave First Coleraine some hope when he gained an eight shots to six win over Paul McCook (St. Colman’s).

In a tight battle Jim Campbell (1st. C’raine) fought back to go just one shot down against Martin McAleese (St. Colman’s). Kenny Carson made sure of the home victory with a 10 shots to 5 shots win against Colin Hutchinson (1st. C’raine).

St. Mary’s entertained Dunluce in another quarter final game but the visitors proved too strong. Jordan Mullan (St. Mary’s) was up against Ian Kerr (Dunluce) and lost by nine shots to three. Harold Kelly (St. Mary’s) had a good battle with Rodney Kane (D’luce) but lost nine shots to six. Aidan Cassley brought a glimmer of hope to the home team with an 11 shots to 7 shots win in his game with Barry Kane (D’luce). Uel McKeeman (D’luce) beat Declan McCann(St. Mary’s) 11 shots to seven to give the visitors an overall win of eight shots.

In the final quarter final game Second Kilrea proved too strong for their Division 2 opponents Finvoy Presbyterian. Nicky McCaw (2nd. Kilrea) beat Chris Jones (F’voy) 11 shots to eight. Joe Moore (F’voy) levelled the match with a seven shot win against Margaret Johnston(2nd. Kilrea). In the second half Brian McGrath and Ivan Smyth, both 2nd. Kilrea, had wins over Robert McShane and Gary McCloy respectively to see the hosts safely into the semi-final.

The draw for the semi-finals is Dunluce v Second Kilrea and St. Colman’s against the Marian. These games have to be played before March 27th.