The Marian and St Mary’s lead the way at the top

editorial image
Have your say

The Marian and St. Mary’s are the early pace setters in Division 1 with both teams winning their opening two league matches they are first and second respectively in the league.

St. Mary’s hosted Second Kilrea and picked up six valuable points. Declan McCann (St. Mary’s) played Margaret Johnston (2nd. Kilrea) and won by 12 shots to four. Bryan McGrath (2nd. Kilrea) pulled a point back for his team with a narrow victory over David Gaile (St. Mary’s). In the second half, Jordan Mullan (St. Mary’s), defeated Nicky McCaw (2nd. Kilrea), 13-5 and in the final game Harold Kelly secured the overall win for St. Mary’s when he beat Wiliam McCaughern by six shots.

The Marian travelled to Ballinrees, who won the first game with Victor Millen beating Joe Martin by 8-6. The match was then level when Terence McGarry (Marian) beat Uel Gordon 9-6. William McCaw (Marian) played William Calvin (Ballinrees) and won by 11 shots. In the final match Jonathan Calvin (Ballinrees) lost out to Brian McAlary (Marian) 15-5.

Boveedy got their first point of the season but were beaten overall by Loughanreagh. Alan Catherwood (Boveedy) took on Edwin Irwin (Loughanreagh) and in a tight game lost by two shots. Ian Ross made it 2-0 to Loughanreagh with a four shot win against Mary Graham (Boveedy). Things did not look too well for Boveedy when Alan Irwin (Loughanreagh) beat Doughie Morrow 13 shots to seven shots. However the home team got some consolation with Ashley McCahon winning his game against Alastair Steele (Loughanreagh).

Dunluce made sure there were no hiccups again this week with an emphatic win against new comers, Dunloy Presbyterian. Uel McKeeman (Dunluce) beat Joe Campbell (Dunloy) 13 shots to five shots. Barry Kane (Dunluce) then played Thomas Paul (Dunloy) and won by six shots. Alastair Kirkpatrick kept the momentum going in Dunluce’s favour with an 11 shots to five win against Philip Paul (Dunloy). Stephen Dunlop (Dunloy) stopped the rot when he fought hard to earn a draw with Alastair McIntyre (Dunluce) and win his team half a point.

Having dropped down a division, Moneydig proved too strong for Drumreagh in Division Two. Brian McFetridge (Moneydig) played Aubrey Walker (Drumreagh) and won 12-5. Trevor Workman (Moneydig) then took on Raymond Clyde (Drumreagh), winning by six shots. Willie Knight added another win for the home team beating Martin Marks 13 shots to four shots. Alan McAleese made it a full house for Moneydig when he overcame a determined Edwin Jackson (Drumreagh), winning 14-5.

First Coleraine also won seven points with a home win against Garvagh & District. John Camac (1st. Coleraine) beat Elizabeth McCafferty (Garvagh) 12-5. David Workman (Garvagh) ran Bryan Shaw (1st. Coleraine) very close but Shaw held on to win by three shots. Jim Campbell (1st. Coleraine) also had a tight game with Geoffrey Boyce (Garvagh), winning by just two shots. In the final game Clifford McLernon (1st. Coleraine) beat Ken McLenaghan (Garvagh) 13 shots to six shots.

Having missed out on promotion by just a point last year Finvoy Presbyterian will be looking to go that extra mile this year. They have started off well, lifting six points against a homeless New Row. Chris Jones got the visitors on the board by beating Sammy McArthur (New Row) 11 shots to five shots. Mark Callaghan (New Row) pulled a game back for New Row winning 17 shots to 12 shots against Gary McCloy (Finvoy). Joe Moore eased Finvoy ahead in his game with Jonathan Elder (New Row) and Roy Hunter gave Finvoy the overall win by beating John Graham (New Row) 15 shots to four shots.