Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council are alerting caravan owners and residents of the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning from gas cookers.
This comes after recent findings by the Coroner in the tragic deaths of Mr and Mrs O’Reilly in a caravan park in Newcastle, County Down on 21st January 2015.
The Coroner, Mr Lecky found that Mr and Mrs O’Reilly lost their lives due to carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of a malfunctioning cooker. The cooker in question was a “New World Vision” LPG cooker which had been subject of a Safety Bulletin back in 2009.
When an oven or grill is not operated in accordance with the user instructions (the grill door must not be closed during use), dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can be produced, which pose a serious risk to health and can result in death.
Council has been asked to ensure that a safety message regarding certain gas cookers and general carbon monoxide safety is followed up within caravan parks located in the Borough. Site operators have been contacted and asked to assist in this regard.
Caravan owners should be aware that any modifications to any gas appliances should only be undertaken by a gas safe registered engineer (www.gassaferegister.co.uk) and all gas appliances should be serviced by such an engineer on an annual basis.
Whilst this particular incident was associated with a “New World Vision” LPG appliance, a number of other makes and models were subject of the same Safety Alert in 2009. A reminder of other models of LPG appliances that were also part of this particular alert are Beko, Belling, Flavel, Leisure and New World.
Full details of the particular models which are subject of Safety Notices can be found by visiting the following websites:
The websites detail relevant contact numbers for the manufacturers and details of how to arrange for an engineer to carry out a free safety check should you own one of the affected appliances. Following the safety check, arrangements can then be made with the engineers to complete any modifications which may be required.
For further guidance and advice on this matter or on general gas safety, please contact Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council’s Environmental Services on 028 7034 7034.