Ballycastle man who was allegedly knocked unconscious by his brother in Sydney has emerged from his coma.
Patrick Lyttle, 31, had been on life support at St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney for nearly a week.
He has now regained consciousness and is in a stable condition in intensive care, according to local media reports.
Barry Lyttle, 33, from Ballycastle, is accused of punching his brother Patrick after they had an argument during a night out in Sydney.
Patrick Lyttle is said to have been travelling around Australia for some months before his brother and father, Oliver, came to visit him.
Police have charged Barry Lyttle with recklessly causing grievous bodily harm.
In a hearing at Sydney’s Central Local Court on Monday, he was ordered to stay with his aunt in Blacktown and not to drink alcohol.
He was also required to surrender his passport and report weekly to police. He is next due to appear in court on 20 January.
Police said that alcohol did not appear to be a factor in the alleged assault.
Online posts from before the incident show both brothers looking forward to their reunion.
The pair’s father previously told local media that the brothers “have loved each other from when they were kids”.
Chair of Moyle Council Councillor Dónal Cunningham has welcomed the news that Patrick Lyttle
has now regained consciousness and is in a stable condition in intensive care.
He added: “The thoughts of the entire community are with the Lyttle family at this very trying time. We will do our best to assist the family in whatever way is possible. The family are very much in all our thoughts and prayers.”