Two remanded on Portrush stabbings

editorial image

Two men were remanded in custody on Tuesday in connection with an attack in which two people received stab wounds at a house in Portrush.

Appearing at Antrim Magistrates Court were Conor Francis Flannery (27) and Kelvin James Kane (20), both of Glenmanus Park in Portrush.

They are alleged to have committed the offences in the early hours of Monday at Kane’s mother’s house at Glenmanus Park.

Both face a number of charges including aggravated burglary with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm on two men with a knife and maliciously wounding both of the men.

Just after 3.30am on Monday, police received a report that two men had been stabbed at a house.

The two men, aged 40 and 27, were taken to hospital for treatment to their injuries which police said at the time were not believed to be life threatening.

A police officer told the court he believed he could connect both accused to the charges

The police officer said around 3.30am on Monday police received a report that two men had entered a property at Glenmanus Park where a number of people were drinking and after an altercation a man received three stab wounds on his chest, rib cage and lower back.

A second man was stabbed twice, under his arm and on his right hip.

The officer said that as a precursor to the stabbings, on August 1 Kane had a “fall-out with his mother over a ‘Chinese’ (hot food carry out)” and after kicking and punching walls left to stay with Flannery who lived nearby.

He alleged a man went round to try to reason with Kane but was attacked and received a broken jaw.

Objecting to bail the officer believed there was a likelihood of further offences and interference with witnesses.

Kane’s lawyer said witness statements were at odds with each other and his client admitted being present at the scene of the stabbings but wished to put “daylight” between himself and serious charges.

A solicitor for Flannery said he was making no bail application.

Both men were remanded in custody to appear via video link at Coleraine Magistrates Court on August 24.