Teenagers are engaging in a dangerous new craze which involves setting fire to wheelie bins in order to ‘get high off the fumes’, police have warned.
Greater Manchester Police have seen several instances of the craze reported in recent weeks, and have stressed that the fumes released from the plastic are “highly toxic”.
Police are advising teenagers against the “extremely dangerous” stunt, stating that the fumes can cause “a wide spread effect on communities and render public spaces unusable.”
Locals are now being urged to only keep their bins accessible on collection day in an effort to prevent further incidents, and avoid leaving them in public view for unnecessary periods of time.
The latest case was reported in Longsight Park in Bolton. A post on the GMP Bolton North Facebook page said extensive damage was caused to the playing area after a wheelie bin was set on fire in the middle of it.
The post reads, “Longsight Park has been subject to massive damage recently as a result of wheelie bins being set on fire in the middle of the children’s play area.
“This type of damage has a wide spread effect on communities and renders public spaces unusable.
“Intelligence from Greater Manchester fire and rescue suggests that wheelie bins are being set on fire and fumes from the bins are inhaled.
“Both GMP and GMFRS have received several reports of bins being set on fire in recent weeks. This is extremely dangerous as the fumes from the plastic are highly toxic.
“Please do not leave waste bins out on bin collection day. Once they have been emptied please take them back onto your properties and out of general public view if possible.”