Coleraine crash out of Towns Cup after Omagh loss

Coleraine Rugby Club Coach Stephen Douglas.
Coleraine Rugby Club Coach Stephen Douglas.

Coleraine bowed out of the Towns Cup on Saturday, losing out to Omagh in a hard fought contest.

The Bannsiders faced the Qualifying 1 side and fought hard throughout the game but in the end Omagh won 7-17 and move on to the next round.

Coleraine take solace in some very strong performances on the day and now look forward to a resumption of their Kukri Qualifying League campaign.

Coleraine coach Stephen Douglas said: “We are disappointed that we won’t be progressing but the guys played very strongly through the game today and gave a credible performance. Omagh were heavier in the pack and used their advantage to good effect.

“We are now going to concentrate on the league and this week’s fixture away to Grosvenor. It will be a tricky match and we will be looking for a strong performance to keep our league aspirations on track.”

In the game The first scoring opportunity went to Omagh with an unsuccessful penalty after eight minutes. Coleraine likewise were off target with a 25 metre penalty after half an hour of intense end to end rugby.

As the half drew to a close the visitors created a well worked try from Johnny Sproule, converted by David Ward. The half-time score reading 0-7 to Omagh.

In the second half, as the game surged from end to end, after a short period play was stopped as Omagh hooker Adam Pollock was injured in a hard tackle and had to be taken to hospital. He has since been released after a night of observation and Coleraine wish him a speedy recovery.

As play resumed Omagh were in Coleraine territory and Stewart McCain scored an unconverted try in the corner. 0-12

It was Coleraine on the attack from the restart and after several phases it fell to a charging Stevie Callaghan to score at the posts. Bokkie Carstens converted. 7-12

As Coleraine kept the pressure on they gave away a penalty near the half way line but the resultant kick drifted wide.

Five minutes later it was Omagh once again on the attack. They rolled ever closer to the line and despite stout defence from the home side it was Omagh’s Yonga Telani who broke through to score in the corner. The conversion went wide and a short time later the final whistle blew with the score at 7-17.

Also on Saturday Coleraine Thirds travelled to take on Carrick 4s, losing out 31-12. In the game Coleraine player Adam Tunney suffered a severe injury to his leg and is currently receiving treatment at The Royal Hospital, Belfast. The club wish Adam a speedy recovery.

This weekend there are three games. The Firsts travel to Grosvenor in the league, the Seconds are home to CIYMS 2s and the Thirds are home to BHSFP 2s.