Firsts pick up bonus point league win away at Lisburn

Action from Coleraine victory over Lisbun on Saturday. (s)
Action from Coleraine victory over Lisbun on Saturday. (s)

Coleraine travelled to Lisburn on Saturday and came home with an impressive bonus point win to maintain their good league form.

Coleraine director of rugby, Norman Blair, said after the game: “We were more than happy with the result and the bonus point today. It was a tough game and both sides had to dig hard.

“The half-time score meant we had a lot to talk about at the break. We cannot afford to give teams a 17-5 lead in first half but we showed great commitment and determination coming back so strongly in the second.

“Next week we entertain Randalstown and that should be another very competitive fixture. We will be aiming for a good result.

“I would urge everybody at the club to come along and show your support at the match. The guys really appreciate it and it spurs them on.”

In Saturday’s game Lisburn started much the stronger with ‘Cookstown’ sponsored Coleraine giving away multiple penalties in first period. Lisburn eventually took the lead after 20 minutes, having missed an earlier penalty.

It took almost 25 minutes before Coleraine created an opportunity with the ball being moved wide and creating a two on one attacking position. Unfortunately John Dillon cut inside, was tackled just short of line, and knocked the ball on.

Lisburn extended their lead with good try after retaining the ball for multiple phases. The score was converted to take Lisburn to a 10-3 lead.

Coleraine kicked for the corner after a Lisburn infringement and from the 10m line out the Coleraine forwards pushed forward, with Dickey eventually scoring. The conversion attempt hit the posts. 10-5.

Further penalties followed and saw Lisburn kick to the corner. A driving maul allowed Lisburn to extend their lead with another converted try leaving the score 17-5 at half time.

A hard review of first half saw a different Coleraine side take to the field after the break. Coleraine narrowed the gap when Dillon pounced on a loose ball and scored after just 4 minutes. The try was converted by Bokkie Carstens. 17-12.

Just three minutes later, after some excellent running from Brian Cochrane and Mikey Poskitt, Coleraine scored an unconverted try with Poskitt touching down. 17-17

Nicky Blair came on for the injured Andrew Barr and Chris Breadon came on for DD McAllister.

Fifteen minutes into second half, after Paul Roxborough had chased down a kick ahead, the ball was moved quickly wide to Cochrane who scored beneath the posts. 17-24.

Coleraine, working from a line out close to the Lisburn line, took the ball and popped to Carstens to burst through the middle of the line and extend the score to 17-31.

With a bonus point secured, Poskitt scored again with about five minutes to go after a break through the middle of the Lisburn defence. 17-38

Coleraine were reduced to 14 for the final period as Adam Teacy was yellow carded but the home side were unable to capitalise on the situation. Coleraine took the win and the winning bonus point with a final scoreline Lisburn 17-38 Coleraine.

In other games played midweek Coleraine Seconds defeated Grosvenor Seconds 24-0 and Coleraine Thirds won against Ballyclare Threes 55-0.

This weekend the Firsts entertain Randalstown at home whilst the Seconds travel to Ballyclare and the Threes go to Randalstown.

Coleraine First XV: D McCorkell, S Evans, A Teacy, D Ramage, DD McAlister, J Dillon, S Dickey, W Hunt, B Carstens, A Parke, A Barr, DD Andrews, P Roxborough, M Poskitt, B Cochrane. Replacements: C Breadon, N Blair