Bannsiders cry foul after another draw

Oran Kearney has a post-match word with referee Andrew Davey
Oran Kearney has a post-match word with referee Andrew Davey

The frustration was there for all to see at The Showgrounds on Friday night as Coleraine came within seconds of recording their first win of the season.

It looked as though Ruairi Harkin’s late free kick had secured the Bannsiders all three points, but deep in to stoppage time Timmy Adamson headed home to snatch a draw.

It just added to the hosts frustrations who felt they were on the wrong side of a number of refereeing controversial decisions. Coleraine were up in arms after a free kick was awarded to the visitors despite Aaron Canning clearly winning the ball.And from the resulting free kick Admason fired home to cancel out Gary Browne’s opener.

Canning was subsequently sent off in the aftermath as he let ref Andrew Davey know what he thought. The officials also missed a clear foul on Browne in the box and an off the ball incident what left Gareth Tommons poleaxed. Boss Oran Kearney though refused to be drawn on the referee’s performance after the game.

“My overriding frustration is when you score a goal to take the lead in the 91st minute then you should see the game out,” Kearney told Times Sport.

“That’s the first thing I said to the players after the game. Forget all that went on in the game, and there was quite a bit throughout the 90 minutes, when we go in front with two minutes left we should win the game.

“They won a dubious free kick in the corner for the second goal, but for me the ball shouldn’t have got there. If we had done our jobs properly the ball wouldn’t have got there in the first place. Even when we went in front though I didn’t think we had definitely won it as I’ve been in this game long enough to know that there can always be a sting in the tail. The game is never over until the whistle blows.

“Yes there are other issues from the game, but when you peel it all back we should have picked up our first three points tonight. Obviously we are frustrated with a number of decisions. The tackle which the referee awarded a free kick for which led to their first equaliser I have never saw a cleaner challenge.

“There was so many decisions, giving against both teams I must add, which you have to questions. I have never witnessed a game which had so many frees awarded,” he added.