Bannsiders downed by Mallards

Jamie McGonigle's equaliser beats Ballinamallard keeper Stefan McCusker. photo:Derek Simpson
Jamie McGonigle's equaliser beats Ballinamallard keeper Stefan McCusker. photo:Derek Simpson

Coleraine slipped to a fourth successive defeat as they were beaten 2-1 by Ballinamallard United on Saturday.

Ryan Campbell fired home at the start and the end of the first half to seal the win for the Mallards.

Jamie McGonigle’s spectacular goal just before the break looked to have got the Bannsiders back on track, but Campbell had other ideas scoring his second just a minute later to put his side back in front.

The visitors started off strongly with Campbell testing Andy Findlay from distance on two separate occasions inside the first three minutes.

He wasn’t to be denied a third time though as the Coleraine defence dallied Jason McCartney broke clear and he laid the ball on a plate for the onrushing Campbell to fire home from six yards.

The Bannsiders began to find their feet without really creating anything. In fact it was 23 minutes before they had a shot in earnest as Ruaidhri Higgins’ free kick called Stefan McCusker into action.

Back came Ballinamallard as Liam McMenamin went close with a header on 32 minutes.

Coleraine drew level three minutes before the break as teenager Jamie McGonigle fired home spectacularly to grab his first senior goal for the club.

The joy was short lived though as the Mallards restored their one goal advantage within sixty second. Again the home defence failed to deal with a long ball and that man Campbell nipped in again to fire his side back in front.

The hosts started the second half well with McCauley and McGonigle both going close with efforts in the opening five minutes.

McCauley also had an appeal for a penalty waved away by referee Raymond Hetherington.

The wide man spurned another great opportunity on 68 minutes as he latched on to Browne’s flick on, but he blazed wildly over the bar from close range.

Substitute Dale Noble should have wrapped the game up for Ballinamallard on 85 minutes, but he shot wide when clean through.

Coleraine: Findlay, Canning, Mullan, Douglas, Stewart (Ogilby 60), Higgins, Harkin, McCauley, Browne, McGonigle (Parkhill 77).

Subs: Doherty, McGinty, Watt.

Goal: McGonigle (42)

Ballinamallard United: McCusker, McMenamin, Stafford, Kee, Lafferty (Noble 76), McCartney, McKenna, Beacom, Campbell (Feeney 90+3), Crilly, McLaughlin.

Subs: Murphy, Feeney, Smyth, Phair.

Goals: Campbell (6, 43)

Booking: Kee

Referee: Raymond Hetherington.