Coleraine finally get past Welders after penalties

Coleraine manager Oran Kearney
Coleraine manager Oran Kearney

Coleraine progressed to the quarter finals beating H&W Welders 3-1 on penalties.

The visitors threatened to pull off another cup shock as Ryan’s Deans put them one up in the first half.

But James McLaughlin made it five goals in as many games just before the break, and that’s how it stayed for the remainder of the game.

The home side made a bright start to the game with Lyndon Kane and Darren McCauley both going close in the opening 15 minutes.

It was the Welders though who created the first real chances of note with Davy Rainey twice drawing excellent saves out of Michael Doherty in the 17th and 19th minute respectively..

The second save went out for a corner and Coleraine went to sleep allowing Ryan Deans to rifle a shot into the net with the help of a slight deflection from Scott Davidson’s short corner.

Coleraine got back on level terms five minutes before the break as James McLaughlin coolly finished from close range after being picked out by Adam Mullan.

The hosts should have went into the break in front as Neil McCafferty released McCauley, but Michael Dougherty followed up his namesake at the other end by producing a great save to deny the wide man.

The Welders were presented with a great opportunity on the hour mark as Steven Douglas misjudged Rainey’s dink over the top. Josh Cahoon raced clear only to be denied by a great covering tackle by Mullan.

Ian Parkhill tested Dougherty with a snapshot on 70 minutes after good work from Lyons.

Parkhill went close again with another shot five minutes later, but again the Welders stopper denied him.

Into extra time and Ruairi Harkin had everything but the finish as he surged forward on 99 minutes beating several men before firing straight at Dougherty.

Both keepers made smart saves from free kicks to take the game into penalties.

Neil McCafferty and Scott McMillan converted the first penalties before Ruairi Harkin and Scott Devine saw their efforts saved.

James McLaughlin and Lyndon Kane put Coleraine in the driving seat before the hero Michael Doherty denied William Armstrong to put his side through.

Coleraine: Doherty, Mullan (Falconer 110), Watt, Douglas, Lyons, McCafferty, Harkin, Brown(McGonigle 64), McLaughlin, McCauley (Parkhill 64).

Subs: Findlay, Law.

H&W Welders: Dougherty, Dickson, Armstrong, McMurray, Spence, McMillan, Deans, Davidson (Middleton 74), Bowers (Devine 74), Rainey.

Subs: Shields, Galbraith.

Referee: Ross Dunlop