Colts grab a draw

Share this article

The Causeway Colts travelled to Castledawson on Saturday to take on Moyola at the 3G facility at Mill Meadow and kicked off in dry conditions.

There were few chances in the opening minutes as Moyola were very well organised and the Colts were taking time to get their passing game going on the artificial surface. On seven minutes Rhyss Ewings won a corner on the right which Jack Shaw delivered but Johnny Mairs shot just wide. There was a worrying moment on 15 minutes when centre back Adam Black went down after a heavy challenge but he was ok to continue much to everyone’s relief.

The Colts were on top now after the slow start and Jack Shaw brought a save from the keeper followed by Rhyss Ewings firing just wide. At the other end Keelin Gaile had to be very alert to clear a dangerous break from Moyola. Rhyss Ewings delivered another ball into the area and just when it looked like Johnny Mairs would score the Moyola keeper pulled off a great save. Josh McConnell replaced Harry Simpson as the Colts looked to score the opener against a very resolute Moyola. A short corner from Jack Shaw again saw Johnny Mairs thwarted by the Moyola keeper on 23 minutes. As the first half drew to a close a Dan Mairs free kick saw Kian Arthur pick out Keelin Gaile who found Johnny Mairs but yet again the keeper saved to keep it level at the break.

Joe McClements replaced the hard working Rhyss Ewings on the right as the Colts looked for an early goal in the second period. Adam Black who was having a good game showed his value with great cover to sniff out a Moyola attack. Johnny Mairs won a free kick and delivered the ball from the right but Stephen Hanna shot just wide.

Moyola had defended with real commitment under pressure and got their reward when they broke with both teams in their half they sent the ball forward and finished well past keeper Adam Hopkins to take the lead. The Colts had to get something out of the game after all their effort centre backs Adam Black and Dan Mairs both pushed up as Ewan McFall took a free kick which Moyola scrambled out for a corner. Jack Shaw took the set piece which travelled to Keelin Gaile at the back post who scored to level the game with four minutes remaining.

The Colts had a late chance to win it when Kian Arthur passed to Brandon Warke but again the Moyola keeper made the save. The match ended in a draw when the Colts could have been out of sight at half time but full credit must go to a well organised and hard working Moyola team.