FOOTBALL:Academy hails NW&CDYL

editorial image

The coaching staff of Coleraine FC Youth Academy (2002-2003-2004 Age Groups) would like to congratulate the North West & Coleraine District Youth League (NWCDYL) with regard to the small sided games centre which they host at Ballysally each Saturday morning.

Chairman Andy Alcorn, the other members of the committee and many other volunteers do a remarkable job and the Coleraine FC Academy would like to place on record its warmest thanks to all those who have helped in making the league such a success.

Coleraine Academy Senior Coach Stephen Kennedy said: “Every week six teams from our Academy get to play in either the 7 or 9-a-side format which will undoubtedly help us to produce the quality of players required to ensure a successful future for the Coleraine FC senior team.

“The NWCDYL deserve a huge amount of credit for the foresight and initiative they have shown in setting up this fantastic league. It means that we get to play in a hugely competitive league against teams from all over Counties Londonderry and Antrim, with the main focus on player development through involvement under the proper format for the younger age groups and rules which encourage the players to express themselves.”

Coleraine FC Youth Academy is always looking for new talented players to develop and would welcome any player with the potential to represent the Coleraine Academy to contact us via the details posted on their website.


The U9 Academy team were very unfortunate to lose this game 4 -2, because for long periods they controlled the game. They got off to a slow start, keeping possession and putting Ballymoney under pressure, but just couldn’t convert their chances. A mix-up in the Coleraine defence lead to an own goal, before a second goal by Ballymoney on the half time whistle.

The second half started in the same vain as the first ended, with two Ballymoney goals in quick succession. The Academy teams fought back with commitment and determination and were soon rewarded with a goal from Daniel Forsythe, followed by a superb shot from Rafferty Mackay.

Man of the Match: Rafferty Mackay great commitment and a super goal.

The Coleraine FC U9 Olympic played out a thrilling 0-0 draw against Carniny on Saturday morning. It was very much a game of two halves, Coleraine controlling the first and Carniny the second. The Olympic missed several good chances early on and should have been out of sight by half time, but they just could not find the net. Carniny were very much the stronger side after the break and kept Coleraine pegged back for long periods, but they found goalkeeper Harry McDowell in unbeatable form. The Coleraine tackling was much better today and all of the team played their part in a well deserved draw.

Man of the Match: Harry McDowell, great saves and good hands throughout the entire game.


The 2003 Academy team emulated their senior counterparts with a 4-1 win over Ballymena Utd. An early strike from Aaron Downes was followed by a period of sustained pressure where the woodwork came to the rescue of Ballymena on more than one occasion. The second half opened with an equaliser for the boys from the Braid, but Coleraine eventually turned their possession into goals with a near post header from Aaron Downes, an excellent strike from Ben Dallas and a goalmouth tap in for Patrick Kelly. Man of the Match: Patrick Kelly


Coleraine Academy ‘02’s came up against unbeaten Limavady in a bruising encounter which saw the wee Bannsiders maintain their unbeaten start to the season with a well deserved win.

Coleraine made their usual slow start and fell one behind after Limavady converted from the spot following a hand ball. They drew level direct from a corner as McDonald curled home. However Limavady regained their lead thanks to an absolute cracker just before the break.

With the coach’s half time team talk ringing in their ears Coleraine upped their game after the restart and drew level through C Stewart.

It was all Coleraine now and they grabbed the winner as McDonald fired in a delightful free kick.

Man of the Match: McElfatrick

The Olympic squad came up against a determined Berties, with long periods of end to end football and Berties finishing the first half 2 – 0 up.

After a stern half time team talk, the Olympic squad started the second half with the commitment and determination they are renowned for. The squad settled into the game with Symington finding the bottom right corner of the net, followed shortly by Moons header. Berties broke straight back with a shot into the roof of the net.

This was another tight match between the two local sides, with the usual tension both on and off the pitch. Berties may have been the victors on this occasion, but credit due to both teams who played to the bitter end.

WOM: Samantha Miskimmon who gave her best.


Coleraine started off slowly in this game and soon found themselves behind after the defence were caught square by a long through ball leaving the striker one-on-one with the keeper. The lads began to find their game only to get caught again at the back.

Coleraine pressed and after a good chance was missed by Dylan Stewart the home team began to grow in stature and were pushing hard for a goal. Tackles were hard and mostly fair and soon Coleraine’s hard work was rewarded with a cracking solo goal by Adam Purvis. All their good work however suffered a setback with a second yellow for one of the lads shortly before half time.

A repeat of last week’s mighty second half effort sadly was not to be, with Dungiven making the man advantage work well, they soon extended their lead. Dungiven took control of the game and soon were well ahead as Coleraine’s heads dropped at the size of the task in front of them. After a few positional changes, Coleraine finished the game slightly stronger but sadly this was not to be their day.


Coleraine started well and Peter Rankin soon found the back of the net, but Ballymena were not giving up and ten minutes later it was all square. The second goal came from a great play between Jordan Gregg and Rhys Blair, but once again Ballymena came back and equalised just before the half. The second half started and against the run of play Ballymena took the lead but as both teams made changes it was Coleraine who became stronger and soon it was all level with a good finish from Krzysztof Silakowski. It finished 3-3 another good display from Coleraine keep it going lads