Glebe Rangers Old Boys secure title

CHAMPIONS. Glebe Old Boys, pictured at Megaw Park on Saturday morning.INBM17-15 038SC.
CHAMPIONS. Glebe Old Boys, pictured at Megaw Park on Saturday morning.INBM17-15 038SC.

If it wasn’t known for certain before, it is now and that’s that Glebe Rangers Old Boys are the Hutchinson Tiles Winter League Champions for 2014-2015.

They secured the title in midweek with a draw against Dunaghy which meant nearest rivals Berthas FC couldn’t mathematically catch them.

Ian Bellingham’s men took three more points on Saturday with victory against FC Windyhall and now have a week off before they face Portrush Old Boys in the final of the Knockout Cup.

Elsewhere in the league, Berthas secured runners up spot with a narrow victory at home to The Villagers.

Millburn FC took the points in their game with Hazelbank while Finn McCools and West Bann Athletic shared the points in Bushmills.

This Friday, the 24th see the Final of the Coleraine Social Club Knockout Shield take place at Mullaghacall in Portstewart with Berthas FC facing holders Portrush Old Boys.

Chris Patterson’s Berthas will finish the season in a superior league position but only managed to take a point in their two games with their opponents in the league which will give ‘Titch’ Walker’s men the edge going into this one.

Entrance to the match is £2, payable at the gate with a 7pm KO.

Glebe Rangers Old Boys 1

FC Windyhall 0

Newly-crowned league champions Glebe Old Boys met Windyhall at a sunny Megaw Park on Saturday morning.

In fact the good weather was probably the main talking point as the game itself had a distinctly end of season feel about it.

Jimmy Coulter, scotching reports of his retirement, returned for the Old Boys as Bellingham rotated the squad whilst old stager Karl Dickson was a notable starter for the visitors.

In between getting caught offside Glebe hot-shot Andy Sheppard notched the only goal of the game after 24 minutes as he finished off a cross from the impressive Thompson.

However Newman was rarely troubled again in the first period whilst DJ McBride was similarly unemployed in the Old Boys goals.

McBride was forced into action early in the second half when he denied Tosh before Rodney Doherty donned the gloves to replace McBride who had an important lunch to attend to.

Newman produced a great stop to deny Sheppard but there was to be no further scoring and the Old Boys took the three points in their penultimate league game. Man of the Match: Nigel McVey (Windyhall F.C)