Good weekend for Academy teams


Coleraine Academy played neighbours Portrush in an entertaining match at Ballysally. The Academy started well with some good passing and movement between the boys but had Jake Spears in goals to thank for a couple of good saves to keep the score level. The Academy squad took the lead with a well worked goal down the right Jack McClure found Rafferty Mackay with a great pass who brilliantly lobbed the ball over two defenders into the path of Bobby Miller who coolly slotted it past the Portrush keeper. The boys continued to play good football and got there reward when Lewis Tosh added a second just before half time

The second half started slowly for the Academy with some slack play throughout the team, despite this they managed to go further ahead with another goal through Lewis Tosh. Credit to Portrush who never gave up and got a goal back near the end when a cross came of the leg of a Coleraine player to give Jake Speers no chance in the Coleraine goal.

Man of the Match: Bobby Millar

Coleraine Olympic U9s had a stern test against Ballymoney. Coleraine were playing well but a lapse of concentration let Ballymoney in to score. The boys battled well and created a number of goal scoring opportunities but to no avail when Ballymoney hit them with a counter attack scoring once again.

The Olympic heads didn’t drop and they continued to play the football, despite the noise from the sidelines. Reece Watton scoring into the bottom left hand corner leaving a tense finale. As the boys continued to attack they did not getting the rub of the green and were caught by two quick goals.

Man of the Match: Owen Boyd


Coleraine started attacking from the first whistle against Carniny and were soon ahead after Ben Dallas finished a good passing move. This settled the Coleraine side who went on to play some attractive passing football. Jake Wallace was particularly tenacious in the tackle and Ryan Canning caused Carniny all sorts of problems on the left wing.

Further goals followed including a hat-trick from Man of the Match, Patrick Kelly, a super individual Owen Benson effort, a great finish from Aaron Downes and a late brace from Lewis Dallas.

Man of the Match: Patrick Kelly

The Olympic produced a performance of character coming back from two goals down to level with Institute through goals from Corrie Leckie and Joshua Campbell. Unfortunately, following an opportunity to take lead, they then conceded 2 more goals but emerged from the game with great credit, particularly debutant Tyler Hutchinson whose neat touches impressed the watching crowd.

Men of the Match: Charlie Campbell and Corrie Leckie


North West & Coleraine District Youth League leaders Coleraine Academy U11 team came up against a very determined Coleraine Olympic U11 side at Ballysally on Saturday afternoon. The majority of the players involved in the game have known each other for 3-4 years, so the rivalry and competition for places ensured a well contested game.

The Olympic started the stronger and had a couple of half chances before the Academy found their way, eventually taking the lead with Scott McDonald scoring directly from a corner.

This was quickly followed by a second goal with a great shot from distance by Ben Moore. To their credit the Olympic never gave up and were rewarded for their efforts when they pulled a goal back through an own goal.

The Academy squad came out much stronger in the second half with goals from Scott McDonald, Scott Simpson and two from Brett Downey.

A late penalty was awarded to the Olympic, when Campbell McFaull was impeded inside the box, and the spot kick was converted clinically by Jude Twigg leaving the final score 6-2 in favour of the Academy.

Men of the Match: Academy: Ben Moore & Scott McDonald. Olympic: Stuart Wallace


The second meeting of the season saw another thrilling encounter between Coleraine and Bertie Peacock Youths. Berties opened the game strongly and could have been ahead but for a superb display from Reece Oliver in the home goals. Coleraine weathered the storm of the opening five minutes well and gradually began to come into the game.

The opening goal of the match came when the flying Dylan Stewart latched onto a perfect through ball and with great skill and composure calmly rounded the keeper and cooly slotted the ball into the net. Coleraine could have been 2-0 up after a good passage of play the ball was crossed by Adam Purvis but the Berties defender nicked the ball away from Stuart Cameron’s toe with an open goal begging, great defending. Coleraine were holding well and with Reece Oliver in fine form they were playing with confidence. Just before the break, Berties delivered a superb corner into the box, with the ball beating keeper and striker it ricocheted off a Coleraine defender and into the net.

The second half started off at a flying pace, with both teams creating good chances and finding both keepers in great form. Berties got their foot in front with a well taken goal and began to apply a bit of pressure. Coleraine stood firm and broke away a few times trying to claim the equaliser with Dylan Stewart, Adam Purvis and Dean Irwin all having good chances. After a defensive mistake Berties increased their lead to 3-1, but almost immediately Coleraine pulled one back thanks to a fine long range shot from Adam Purvis that squirmed under the Berties keeper.

Coleraine almost pulled level when Brad Clarke broke free down the left wing, only to hestiate and allow the keeper time to adjust and easily save the shot. The sucker punch came in the closing stages of the game when a long clearance from Berties fell to the striker, in an obvious offside position, who slotted home to give Berties a flattering score of 4-2.

The players and coaches of the community team wish a speedy recover to Goalkeeper Matt Taggart (hand injury) and Midfielder Jack Harbinson (knee injury). Get better soon lads

Joint MOTM; Reece Oliver and Dylan Stewart


Coleraine recorded another comfortable win, their fourth in a row against Portrush at Parker Avenue. Coleraine dominated the early game and scored ten minutes in when McCook finished from close range following an excellent Dallas corner. Five minutes later Coleraine doubled their lead when this time Dallas cut in from the right, drove into the box and slotted home with his left foot.

Coleraine made five changes at half time but they continued to dominate creating chance after chance with Hayes in particular unable to nab the goal his general play deserved. The third finally came when McPeake wriggled free in the box and his shot came down from the cross bar and went in off the keeper. Portrush never gave up and with Coleraine taking their foot of the pedal they pulled a goal back.

This seemed to wake Coleraine up and Ireland on the right wing was causing Portrush all sorts of problems. It was Ireland who fired the fourth home with a fantastic strike. Moments later McPeake showed his striker’s instinct when he followed up a shot which the keeper parried and he slotted home the fifth. The sixth came shortly after when the hard working Walker ran onto a through ball and scored in the corner. This was the last action of the game.

Man of the Match: Michael Ireland.