Kenny upset as errors prove costly

Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny'. �INPHO/Dan Sheridan
Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny'. �INPHO/Dan Sheridan

Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny pointed to his side’s defensive errors as he reflected on thheir 3-2 defeat to Coleraine.

Kenny was upset with the manner of the goals his side’s conceded at Oriel Park, but the former Derry City boss is confident his side can turn it around when they travel to The Showgrounds next Monday night.

“We didn’t defend well enough,” said Kenny after the game.

“You can’t perform at the back like we did. We got back into it 3-2 through David McMillan and missed chances to equalise after that but we’re still in the tie.

“We have to score twice. The away goal means that we have to go there and score at least twice and not concede like we did.

“We have scored twice already in the tie so we can do it but we can’t defend like we did if we are to get through.”

Kenny was disappointed his side didn’t manage to grab the vital second goal when they were on top in the first half.

“We dominated the first half completely and we were looking for that second goal just before half-time unfortunately we didn’t get it,” he said.

“It was a good goal from Daryl Horgan to score, a great finish with some lovely build up play as well.

“It was a cracking goal from David McDaid for them from around 30 yards. We were disappointed to go in 1-1 at half-time and in the second half we made basic errors and got punished for them.”

Meanwhile, defender Andy Boyle says Coleraine deserve a lot of credit for the way they played.

“It was a real competitive game and Coleraine played very well,” said Boyle speaking after the game.

“They deserve great credit for how they came here and played football. They gave us a good game but hopefully we can turn it around in the second leg.

“It’s not the end of the world. It was a disappointing night for us I know that but we played well in patches. Some of our play was good and some not so good but we’re going to get that.

“It’s only half-time in the tie. There’s still another 90 minutes to play and we’re still well in the tie. We were unlucky and basic mistakes cost us on the night. It’s disappointing that’s how it went. It’s not over by any means – we are still in the tie. We scored two good goals, so there are some positives.”