Coleraine and Glentoran share the spoils again in hard-fought affair

For the second time in three days Coleraine and Glentoran had to make do with a share of the spoils after this 1-1 draw at The Showgrounds.

Friday, 16th April 2021, 9:42 pm
Updated Friday, 16th April 2021, 9:44 pm

The sides shared four goals in an entertaining affair at The Oval on Tuesday night and tonight’s clash was just as intriguing.

Robbie McDaid fired the visitors ahead three minutes before half time, but Matthew Shevlin touched home his third goal in a week against the Glens midway through the second half to earn his side a point.

Both sides matched up in a 3-5-2 formation, with both Donnelly brothers - Jay and Ruaidhri - on the bench.

Eoin Bradley holds off Patrick McClean

Andrew Mitchell, who was installed in one of the striking positions, caused some early problems as he robbed the ball off Stephen O’Donnell before his cross was palmed away by Marty Gallagher, the ball eventually fell for Marcus Kane, but his goal-bound effort was deflected wide by Aaron Traynor.

The Bannsiders were causing problems on the break though and it was that man Matthew Shevlin, who scored a brace at The Oval on Tuesday night, who caused the problems on the quarter hour.

The striker drove on to a through ball before powering a shot goalwards, but Rory Brown did well to parry the ball away.

Patrick McClean then almost played himself into trouble as he was closed down by Shevlin, he ended up close to his own goal before firing an attempted clearance off Luke McCullough for a corner to the hosts.

From the resulting set-piece Stephen Lowry fired a shot straight at Brown.

At the other end Kane’s looping header from O’Connor’s corner was safely gathered by Gallagher.

The Bannsiders should have broke the deadlock eight minutes before half time.

Eoin Bradley’s cross from the left found Lowry seven yards out in front of goal, he controlled and got his shot off, but McClean produced a magnificent block to deny him.

And that proved vital as the visitors edged in front on 42 minutes. O’Connor’s clever pass sent McDaid in on goal and his first-time finish beat Gallagher and found the net.

That man McDaid went close again seven minutes after the restart as he fizzed a low shot past the far post from Mitchell’s knock down.

The hosts threw on Ben Doherty and provided a superb ball into the box for the equaliser on 63 minutes.

Lyndon Kane fed Doherty on the right-hand side, and his inswinging cross was put into the net by Shevlin as Bradley closed in.

Both teams pressed hard for a winner with the best chance falling for the visitors in the 90th minute.

Dale Gorman’s corner picked out Ruaidhri Donnelly on the edge of the six yard box, but he failed to get a clean connection and headed inches over the bar.



A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to and enjoy unlimited access to the best Northern Irish and UK news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than five articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Thank you,

Alistair Bushe