Portstewart boss Taylor praises his players’ ‘never give up attitude’

editorial image
Share this article

Portstewart made the long trip to Portadown on Saturday to meet Annagh United in the league.

Nigel Turner gave the visitors an early lead after 11 minutes.

The big forward has been out of the squad since October through injury, and he proved to be a handful for the Annagh defenders.

Chances fell to Lee Forgrave and Owen Moody as the first half continued, but they failed to advance the score any further.

A frantic ten minute spell in the second half saw the home side leading by three goals to one.

On 55 minutes McCordick’s effort deflected past Madison to make it 1-1.

Six minutes later and Acheson put his side ahead following a blunder by Ports keeper Madison.

McCann’s free kick found Craig in the 65th minutes, who made it 3-1.

Despite the scoreline, the Ports battled on.

Ryan Doherty’s looping header beat Wright to make it 3-2, before Owen Moody levelled matters in added time.

Ports boss Gary Taylor praised his players ‘never give up attitude’.

“It was a very pleasing performance by the whole team.

“When we went 3-1 down, the boys were determined to fight back. Credit to them they battled for every ball.”

Playing in a new formation, Taylor praised Nigel Turner, Luke Bradley and Dean Murray.

“Nigel is just back from injury but he showed a lot of strength up front, something that we have been missing. Luke and Dean played very well in mid-field, and to be honest we had enough chances to win the game.

“Lee Forgrave and Owen Moody had good chances in the first half.

“ Gary Quinn was very unlucky with a chance at the very end.

Portstewart were due to play neighbours Tobermore on Saturday, however the game has been postponed as Tobermore have an Intermediate Cup tie.

“I would’ve liked the game to go ahead, but these cups take priority,” admitted Gary.

“We’ve got our confidence back and we’re playing some good football.

“I would have liked to have carried on the momentum, but we’ll see about getting a training session in.”

Meanwhile Portstewart Olympic crashed out of the Matt Morrison Cup.