Revenge for West Bann Athletic as they progress to cup semi finals

Action from Ballyrashane's 5-1 win over FC Crusaders. PICTURE: Mark Jamieson
Action from Ballyrashane's 5-1 win over FC Crusaders. PICTURE: Mark Jamieson
Share this article

West Bann Athletic, Berthas FC, Dunaghy Old Boys and holders Glebe Rangers Old Boys all made it through to the Knockout Cup semi finals after Saturday’s round of fixtures.

West Bann Athletic saw off the challenge of last week’s conquerors Portrush Old Boys, while Dunaghy Old Boys proceeded in a tight contest against The Taverners.

Berthas FC were easy winners against Coleraine Olympic while last years winners Glebe Rangers Old Boys knocked out The Villagers. In the league, there was comfortable wins for Hazelbank FC and Ballyrashane FC.

The next delegates meeting will take place on Monday 7th April, 7.30 at the usual venue. All teams are to be represented at the meeting.

Portrush Old Boys 2

West Bann Athletic 3 (aet)

West Bann Athletic met champions elect Portrush Old Boys in the quarter finals of the HTWL Knockout Cup a week after being defeated by the same opponents in the semi finals of the shield looking to make amends.

The first real chance of the game fell to Portrush Old Boys Dave Parsons six yards out capitalising on a rare Athletic defensive error to make it 1-0 with 11 minutes on the clock. Athletic rallied in search of an equaliser and were rewarded within five minutes when Matthew McCandless’ flick on from a Paul Jones goal kick found Lee Nevin 25 yards from goal, Nevin took a touch then lobbed the on-rushing Portrush goalkeeper.

Athletic continued to play on the front foot for the remainder of the half and came close to getting their noses in front on the half hour when Aaron McLelland’s 30 yard free kick struck the crossbar.

The Athletic captain went close minutes later but was again denied by the woodwork again.

Athletic started the second half the better of the two teams and forced a corner two minutes in. Lee Nevin’s cross was met and headed home at the back post by strike partner Davy Caldwell.

Portrush managed to level the tie through Jonny Martin in the 75th minute when his shot found the roof of the net. It proved to be the final goal in normal time.

Extra time it was and first chance fell to Portrush who found themselves through on goal however a great last ditch covering tackle from Aaron Connor and then save of the match from the Athletic number one Paul Jones when the ball broke kindly again for Portrush kept the scores level.

As the first period of extra time was coming to an end Athletic were awarded a free kick just inside the Portrush half, Lee Nevin’s delivery created confusion and with Athletic calling for a penalty Mark ’Big Dome’ McLelland stabbed the loose ball goal wards to put Athletic 3-2 up with what was the last kick of the half.

Second period of extra time was played at a frenetic pace with both teams still going for it. Portrush felt they should have had a penalty awarded when K Wills went down in the penalty area however much to Athletics relief the man in the middle waved play on.

Athletic had a couple of chances to extend there lead further but could not take them while Portrush hard as they tried could not breach a determined Athletic defence. Man of the Match: Nathan Black (WBA F.C)

The Villagers 2

Glebe Rangers Old Boys 4

The Villagers entertained the Old Boys in this knock-out quarter-final on Saturday morning and despite the typical blustery Castlerock both teams served up an attractive game to entertain both spectators.

After a cagey opening it was player-boss Bellingham who nodded his side in front after meeting a free-kick from the vociferous Lee Kyle. Steele notched shortly afterwards, latching on to a Fulton through ball before beating Best from just inside the box.

The Villagers responded and Allen had to be on his toes to deny Maguire before Les Nicholl produced a piece of magic, lobbing Best from 25 yards to make the half-time score 3-0 to the visitors.

Glebe started the second period on top with Stephen Elder, as in the first half, catching the eye with some forceful overlapping from full-back but the Old Boys were unable to score again until good work from the industrious Holmes saw man of the match Steele make it four.

As time wore on, old age began to take its toll and a couple of injuries saw the visitors, with only one sub, down to ten men. The Villagers who never stopped running all day pulled one back form Danton before Ryan Shirlow scored to make it a nervy last 10 minutes for Glebe.

However they were able to see out the game to take their place in the semi-finals. Man of the Match: James Steele (Glebe Rangers Old Boys)

Dunaghy Old Boys 2

The Taverners 1

Dunaghy Old Boys saw a lot of the ball in the opening 25 minutes and went close through Warren Blair and Chin Blair.

The Taverners started to feed their feet and Docherty was unfortunate to miscontrol when well placed.

The Old Boys opened the scoring on 57 minutes as Mark Blair jnr fired home.

Taverners equalised on 70 minutes thnaks to Cathal Mooney’s powerful free kick.

But it was the hosts who grabbed the winner as Robinson teed up Chin Blair, whose dipping shor found the back of the net.

Man of the Match: Paul Robinson (Dunaghy Old Boys)

Coleraine Olympic 0

Berthas FC 10

Berthas took the lead early in this game when Willie Stewart was slipped in and the striker coolly slipped the ball past the on rushing Doherty.

They quickly grabbed their second when Andrew Ridgell beat his man down the right before lobbing Doherty for a tasty finish.

Stewart grabbed this team’s third with a neat turn and shot and he then grabbed his hat-trick when he smashed a half volley into the top corner from 25 yards.

Ridgell made it five when he drilled a low shot into the bottom corner from just outside the box. Berthas got their sixth before half time when Stewart again scored, converting Pollock’s cross.

Berthas were abit flat in the first 20 minutes of the second half but got number seven when Pollock fired home the loose ball. Ridgell got his hatrick when he lashed home with his left foot after Doherty had saved from Minihan.

Olympic had a great chance to get on the sheet when Beatty ran clean through but he fired wide when well placed. Berthas got their ninth through Stewart, his fifth of the day when he cut in from the left to score.

The scoring was completed with number 10 when Minihan stabbed from following good work from Hanna of the left. Berthas had more chances to score but David Hoey was particularly wasteful. Man of the Match: Willie Stewart (Berthas FC)

FC Crusaders 1

Ballyrashane FC 5

The game started with Ballyrashane pressing the home side in there own half and young Jack Gray jinking past three defenders in on goal to only be denied by the woodwork.

The away side saw a few more chances go begging until link up play between Dylan Neil and right back Adam Buick who popped up with a brilliant run and cross to provide David Weatherall with a coolly slotted home goal on the ten min mark.

FC Crusaders got up the pitch using the outlet of Downs on the left and won a corner the ball was delivered and cleared only as far as the 18 yard box where wee ‘Sparky’ smashed home off the underside of the bar beating Newman in the away goal. Ballyrashane got themselves ahead again after a defence splitting pass from they elder of the Gray brothers sent Dylan Neil through on goal and the young man finished well in the corner.

This would prove to be his last contribution as he was gave his matching orders shortly after for a second yellow. After the break with ten men the away side scored through Weatherall again. FC Crusaders and Ballyrashane continued to battle and the ball broke to McGrotty on the right who went through on goal to unselfishly square to Jack Gray for a tap in.

Weatherall completed his hat-trick shortly after when a mix up in the home teams defence gifted him a third and capped a man of the match performance by the hard to handle big striker while sealing all three points for the ten men of Ballyrashane. Man of the Match: David Weatherall (Ballyrashane)

FC Windyhall 0

Hazelbank FC 5

Hazelbank attacked from kick off after a succession of corners Mark Crawford headed in at the back post from McClarty’s flick on.

Windyhall should have equalised when Ferguson blasted a free over from the edge of the box. Colin McClarty put Hazelbank two up when he finished well after good work from Penny.

Boyd was getting lots of space and Tosh converted one of his crosses.

Colin McClarty made it four right on half time after he latched on to a long kick out from keeper Crawford.

Windyhall to their credit kep fighting after the break,but on a counterattack Alan McClarty converted a Boyd cross. Man of the Match: Alan McIntyre (Hazelbank)



Monday 7 April Hazelbank OB v Millburn; Wednesday 9 April Articlave v FC Windyhall; Thursday 10 April Heights OB v West Bann. Monday 14 April Millburn v Articlave; Wednesday 16 April FC Windyhal v Heights OB; West Bann v Hazelbank OB.


Tuesday 8 April Dunseverick v Agivery Utd; Bushmills v Finn McCools; Thursday 10 April Joey’s Bar v Bushmills; Tuesday 15 April Agivey Utd v Joey’s Bar; Thursday 17 April Bushmills v Dunseverick.

Ballyrashane Cup

Only four entires have bee n received for this year’s competition to date - Garvagh Wanderers, Manor thistle, WD Meats and Dunloy FC.

Anyone wisihing to enter a team should contact Tommy on 07919987747