Ruairi Harkin resists Ryan Harpur's challenge'''''''.
Ruairi Harkin resists Ryan Harpur's challenge'''''''.

COLERAINE manager Oran Kearney was left to rue his side’s profligacy in front of goal as they slipped to their first defeat of the season on Saturday.

A 73rd minute strike by substitute Chris Lavery sealed the win for the hosts, but the Bannsiders were the architects of their own downfall missing several good chances in the second half.

Kearney’s men started the game on the front foot clearly buoyed by Monday night win over Cliftonville.

A slick passage of passing set up Stevie Lowry on the edge of the box but his effort was saved by Swifts keeper Gareth Buchanan with 10 minutes gone.

Gary Browne went close with a free kick eight minutes later, his low drive fizzing just past the post.

The home side began to find their feet and should have edged in front on 37 minutes as Douglas’ corner found Ryan Harpur, his header was parried by Wayne Drummond and the follow up was fired over the bar by James Costello. Right on half time Coleraine squandered a great opportunity of their own as Gareth Tommons wriggled free on the byline before pulling the ball back for Browne, but he skied his shot over the bar.

The Bannsiders should have broken the deadlock on 53 minutes as more incisive passing cut open Dungannon. David Ogilby surged forward with the ball before feeding Stevie Carson, his clever pass sent Shane Jennings through on goal, but he couldn’t find the target from the edge of the box.

Three minutes later Aaron Canning’s quick throw was flick on by Browne to the onrushing Lowry, his cross-cum-shot zipped across the face of goal with no-one there to apply the final touch.

Carson and Jennings combined again on 65 minutes, but again it was the same result as the front man couldn’t find the target.

And then came the sucker punch as the Swifts hit Coleraine on the break. David McCullough’s effort was parried by Drummond and Lavery reacted quickest to fire home.

Coleraine upped the ante in the last 15 minutes as they went in search of the equaliser. But it just wasn’t to be the Bannsiders day, this was borne out in injury time as Jenning’s header from Paul Owen’s free kick crash off the base of the post.

Kearney felt his side’s performance was good but he lamented their finishing after the game.

“I don’t think the performance was a marked step down from Monday night. The difference was that we were clinical at Solitude and took our opportunities, we didn’t do that today,” he told Times Sport.

“We played well for most of the game, we had a number of good chances in the first half and then had a very strong spell in the first 20 minutes of the second half, but without any end product in terms of goals, you always leave yourself open to getting hit by a sucker punch.

“Wayne barely had anything to do in the game up until their goal, but that’s football for you, they took their one big chance, while we couldn’t make the most of any of ours. I stressed the importance of not undoing the good work of Monday night’s game and while there wasn’t a hangover of such from that game, it just wasn’t our day. But we start again next Saturday, looking to get back on track with a win and start a good run.”