‘Wee’ Stripes take the derby honours

Action from Ballymoney Friendship League on Friday night.
Action from Ballymoney Friendship League on Friday night.

COLERAINE Olympic Under-12s were celebrating on Saturday after they came out on top in an eight goal thriller against derby rivals Ballymena at Ballysally.

Coleraine took time to settle into their passing game as Ballymena made it difficult. After missing numerous of chance Jude Twigg opened the scoring with a spectacular shot from 20 yards, but Ballymena hit straight back. Dan Brown made it 2-1 with another composed finish just before half time.

After a chat from the coaches the boys went straight to their passing game and Corey Lecky scored a superb team goal 3-1, again though Ballymena hit back making it 3-2 to set up an exciting finish. Coleraine continued their passing and Jack Kane and Dan Brown scored with well placed passes into the net showing quality and composure in their finishes to leave the final score 5-3. Well played and great team performance. Man of the Match: Stuart Wallace

Coleraine Under-15’s travelled to face Glenavon in the NIBFA League. With nine minutes on the clock, Coleraine’s top goal scorer Peter Rankin struck the net to take his goal tally to six for the season. From that point on Coleraine dictated most of the play. Chances came and went for Coleraine, and despite some fantastic balls being played into the box, they couldn’t close out the game. Man of the match Paddy Quigg, gave a superb performance, and came closest from a super freekick, hitting the crossbar for the second week running. Glenavon did look threatening from counter attacks, and managed to test Coleraine’s keeper on a couple of occasions. Yet again the in - form Gareth Kealey pulled off some magnificent saves to see Coleraine record their first clean sheet of the season.

A great team performance from the whole squad.

The Under-10s went down 3-1 against Limavady at Ballysally. A mistake from the Coleraine squad gave Limavady the opportunity to go 1-0 up at the break. The visitors added two more but Coleraine didn’t let their heads drop, but despite a number of good counter attacks just couldn’t find the net. Lewis stepped up to take a penalty following a hand ball by Limavady. With great power Lewis neatly placed the ball into the bottom left hand corner to the thrill of the Coleraine supporters. Well done Limavady, final score 3-1.