BOWLS: Drumreagh thrash league leaders

DRUMREAGH improved their chances of promotion to North West Division One by taking six points from League Two leaders First Coleraine last week.

In the first half Martin Marks (Drumreagh) beat Robert Campbell but on the other mat Bryan Shaw brought First Coleraine back into the game when he had a good win over Raymond Clyde.

However Carson Boyd brought the smile back onto Drumreagh’s faces when he won 12-6 against Jim Campbell. Edwin Jackson sealed Drumreagh’s win, although he had to dig deep to beat a dogged Colin Hutchinson.

In a relegation battle Killowen lost the home advantage to Garvagh & District and go back to bottom position. Billy Boyce had given Killowen the perfect start when he defeated Elizabeth McCafferty 9-3.

David Workman brought the scores level at half time when he won 9-8 against Sammy Connor (Jun.). The second half saw wins for both Ian Reynolds and Paul Reynolds when they beat Sammy McArthur and Billy Laverty respectively.

In the third game in Division Two Montra won easily against a poor New Row team. All Montra’s rinks had comfortable wins with Jonathan Elder’s rink the only New Row four to make a game of it. This win also brings Montra into league contention, now only nine points behind the leaders with a game in hand.

Meanwhile, Duluce still hold first place in Division One but their lead is reduced to 3.5 points after their defeat to Ballinrees.

Uel Gordon set the ball rolling for Ballinrees when he took the scalp of Uel McKeeman winning by three shots.

Alastair Kilpatrick evened the match by beating the Ballinrees rink of Kenny McNeill. Although both teams won one match each in the second half, Ballinrees, thanks to Jonathan Calvin’s seven shot advantage over Barry Kane, took the three bonus points.

Loughanreagh are keeping the pressure on Dunluce, but they had to fight hard against St.Mary’s to achieve this win.

John Campbell put the home team in front with an 11-shot win against Edwin Irwin. The in-form Ian Ross steadied the boat for Loughanreagh when he overcame Harold Kelly.

Declan McCann (St. Mary’s) went down to Alastair Steele and although Seamus Doherty beat Alan Irwin (Loughanreagh) by three shots it was not enough to get the overall score and Loughanreagh picked up a very valuable five points.

Both Dunluce and Loughanreagh need to look over their shoulders as the Marian are quietly creeping up the league table having won three of their last four matches.

They took on strugglers Boveedy away from home but the Marian won all four rinks convincingly.

Alan Catherwood lost to Joe Martin; Doughie Morrow lost to James Martin, Ronie Catherwood went down to Terrance McGarry and Ashley McCahon was beaten by Brian McAlary.

Second Kilrea (6) v Moneydig (1) No score cards submitted.

The quarter final draw for the E&B Taylor Charity Cup.

The draw is as follows: A - Momtra v Benvarden; B - Moneydig lost to St Colman’s; C - St Patrick’s v Loughanreagh; D - Second Kilrea v Armoy Presbyterian.

The above games should have been played by January 31. Whilst the organisers realise that many games could not be played owing to the inclement weather conditions at Christmas, teams are asked to make that bit of extra effort to have these matches played as soon as possible as the final has been pencilled in for mid March.