Eoghan Rua host Derry Camogs

Greinne Mc Goldrick, Maria Mooney, and Meabh Mc Goldrick, from Owen Row Comogie Club with the All Ireland Intermediate trophy they won while playing for Derry. The trio where at a special reception on Saturday night at there clun house in Portstewart.
Greinne Mc Goldrick, Maria Mooney, and Meabh Mc Goldrick, from Owen Row Comogie Club with the All Ireland Intermediate trophy they won while playing for Derry. The trio where at a special reception on Saturday night at there clun house in Portstewart.

The All-Ireland Intermediate camogie champions Derry received a rapturous reception at a function in Pairc Eoghain Rua last Saturday evening.

Eoghan Rua chairman, Brendan McLernon welcomed the Derry players, management and members of the county board to the club and congratulated them on their achievement of not only winning the All-Ireland but gaining senior status for next season. Pride of place, however went to the four Eoghan Rua players, county captain Grainne McGoldrick, Meabh McGoldrick, Maria Mooney and Megan Kerr (panel member Maureen Heneghan was unable to attend), who all played in the replay final win over Galway. Grainne McGoldrick spoke of her pride in leading Derry to All-Ireland glory and hoped that the achievement would prove to be an inspiration to all young camogs in the Eoghan Rua club and indeed throughout the county.

Meanwhile Eoghan Rua’s Under-18 camogs made it through to the county final with a good win over Magherafelt on a score of 2-19 to 3-7. Top scoring for Eoghan Rua was Rosanna McAleese with a magnificent tally of 1-10 while Shauna Doherty added the goal.

Errigal, the Glenullin/Ballerin amalgamation, were just a little too strong for Eoghan Rua Coleraine in the first round of the North Derry Under-21 football championship last Sunday afternoon as ran out 3-10 to 1-11 winners. Conditions were well nigh perfect for football on a good sod at Glenullin. The first half proved to be even enough as a late Paul Ferris goal helped the hme side to a 1-6 to 0-5 interval lead. The Eoghan Rua cause was not helped with Jimmy Boyle getting a red card following a second yellow just before the interval. Down to twelve players for the second half it was always going to be an uphill struggle for Coleraine and so it proved when Errigal stretched their lead with a second goal, Michael Henry scoring just five minutes after the restart. Errigal maintained their commanding lead throughout, a third goal in the last minute icing the victory, an added time Colm McGoldrick goal for Eoghan Rua doing little to change the inevitable outcome.

The sides were level on no fewer than five occasions in the opening twenty minutes of the first half. Errigal opened the scoring in the first minute with a Carl McNicholl point from a free before Ciaran Gaile levelled matters and then Ruari Leonard had Eoghan Rua ahead in the 6th minute. When Niall McNicholl pointed from long range it was all square but a fine Ruari Leonard point soon had Coleriane back in front. Two points in a minute from Ruari Bradley then had the home side back in front but a Ciaran Gaile pointed free levelled matters yet again by the end of the first quarter. The sides then exchanged points for the fifth time to be level 0-5 each by the 21st minute. Just a minute after Liam McGoldrick’s equaliser the home side broke through for a well taken Paul Ferris goal, the first time more than a point separated the sides. As the game moved into the last five minutes a brief flare-up led to a couple of bookings but moments after Jimmy Boyle received a second yellow followed by a red as Eoghan Rua were reduced to twelve players. In added time Errigal extended their lead to four with a Paul Ferris point, 1-6 to 0-5 the half-time score. Errigal all but sealed victory in the opening five minutes of the second half when they hit Coleraine for a goal and two points. Two quick points from Paul Ferris and Carl McNicholl extended the home team’s lead before Michael Henry got on to the end of a high punt into the edge of the Eoghan Rua ‘square’ to palm to the net. That had Errigal eight in front 2-8 to 0-6 and well on the way to the second round. Points from Ruari Leonard and Ciaran Gaile, from a free, reduced the gap going into the final quarter but Errigal were able to nick a couple of points of their own to keep the gap at a comfortable level. Again Eoghan Rua got it back to six with two in a row from Colm McGoldrick but a third Errigal goal in the 59th minute ended all hope for Eoghan Rua. An added time Colm McGoldrick goal was much too little too late for Eoghan Rua as Errigal progressed to the next round.


Eoghan Rua’s hurlers won through to the final of the Derry Reserve hurling championship with a 1-11 to 2-2 win over Slaughtneil last Wednesday evening at the Emmetts ground. The eventual winners raced into an early lead with two Anton rafferty points from frees followed by a well taken Colm McGoldrick goal in the 12th minute. In Slaughtneil’s first real attack of substance they came away with a goal as Brendan Rogers got in behind the Coleraine defence to gather a long puck in and fire to the net from close range. The sides then exchanged points before Eoghan Rua edged four clear with two quick strikes from Colm and Sean Leo McGoldrick, from a ‘65’. Going into the last ten minutes Slaughtneil got only their second point of the half from a long range Eoin O’Kane effort but two in a row from Anton Rafferty had Coleriane 1-7 to 1-2 ahead at the break. A superb Liam Frizelle point from near the sideline increased Eoghan Rua’s lead but they were rocked by a Seamus Logue goal which left just three between the sides four minutes into the second half. That goal however proved to be Slaughtneil’s last score of the game as they were very wasteful in front of goal for the rest of the half while Eoghan Rua netminder Ciaran Gaile also made a couple of tidy saves. The winners’ too will need some shooting practice ahead of the final as they wasted a few decent chances while adding just three more points in the closing twenty five minutes of the game. Eoghan Rua will now meet Derry city side Na Magha in the final, they beat Ballinascreen 2-9 to 0-9 in the second semi-final.