Honours even in the Subsidiary Shield semi

editorial image

Coleraine Grammar School will have to take on Wallace High School again after their Subsidiary Shield semi final finished all square.

The Coleraine boys started off playing into the wind against a big Wallace side.

Mac Baillie wins a Lineout.

Mac Baillie wins a Lineout.

The Wallace scrum half managed to kick intelligently with the wind at their backs.

This allowed them to enter the Coleraine 22 and get the front foot. With some ill discipline from the Coleraine side the penalties built up, giving Wallace the opportunity to take the lead.

From the restart it was similar story with Wallace using the wind as their ally. This again allowed them to take advantage of the ever increasing Coleraine penalty tally.

Once again from the restart the Coleraine side did well to play some excellent rugby in the oppositions half.

However, a knock on allowed Wallace to gain territory and work their way back into the Coleraine 22.

This time they used their pack to pick and go, and with a well executed inside pop opened a gap and the first try of the game. Conversion missed.

Coleraine regrouped at the break and came out with more intent in the second half. They tore into the Wallace defence earning a penalty which Callum Smith slotted over.

Again from the restart the pace picked up as the team realised their potential, and after many phases opened up a gap down the left wing. This opportunity was exploited by Matthew Norris who set up Thomas Lavery for Coleraine’s first big points of the game. Conversion missed.

Once again the pace continued and the Coleraine men undeniably were coming out on top.

With the phases coming together the team managed to secure two more penalties which were gladly taken by Callum Smith putting Coleraine into the lead for the first time in the match.

With the last play of the game the Wallace side creeped their way into the Coleraine half. One penalty turned into two, and two into three.

And with that the Wallace side secured the three points to equalise the scoreboard, and with that finish the match with an anticlimactic end.

Coleraine now travel to Wallace HS to replay the semi-final aiming to book a place in the final against Down High School at the Kingspan stadium next Monday afternoon.