It’s all coming down to the wire in Division One

editorial image
Share this article

What a finish we have at the top of Division 1 of the North West Indoor Bowling League.

With just one match to go, St. Colman’s hold a half point advantage over the Marian. In their last game the Marian are at home to St. Mary’s who, themselves are fighting for second place.

St. Colman’s have a home game against Boveedy and on paper would appear to have the easier game, but let us not forget that Boveedy took five points off a fancied Dunluce only two weeks ago. At the other end of the league table it looks like a shoot-out between Second Kilrea and Dunloy Prebyterian. In this match the home team hold the advantage as they have four more points than their opponents and Second Kilrea only need two points to avoid relegation.

The surprise result this week was the Marian taking all seven points from Dunluce. First up for the Marian was Brian McAlary who defeated Alastair McIntyre 15-4. Aidan Cassley made it 2-0 at the break when he beat Ian Kerr (Dunluce) by one shot. James Martin (Marian) continued the agony for Dunluce with a 13-2 win over Alastair Kirkpatrick (Dunluce). In a close match between Uel McKeeman (Dunluce) and William McCaw (Marian) it was all square playing the last end but McCaw pulled out all the stops to win by four shots and pick up the bonus points.

Dunloy entertained Loughanreagh and the visitors went home with six points. Mark Jamison put Loughanreagh on the scoreboard with a 12-6 win against Derek Fenton (Dunloy). Stephen Dunlop pulled a game back for the hosts beating Alan Irwin (L’reagh). Alastair Steele restored the lead for Loughanreagh beating Mark Shaw (Dunloy) by five. Edwin Irwin got the overall win for Loughanreagh with a 12-4 victory over Thomas Paul (Dunloy).

Boveedy recorded a home win against Ballinrees. It started well for the visitors with Victor Millen beating Alan Catherwood (B’veedy). Robert Sufferin (B’veedy) levelled the match when he beat Jonathan Calvin (B’rees) by five. Uel Gordon nosed Ballinrees back into the lead winning by two against Doughie Morrow (B’veedy) but Ashley McCahon got the extra points for Boveedy with a big win against William Calvin (B’rees).

St. Mary’s took on leaders St. Colman’s and won. Declan McCann started the ball rolling for St. Mary’s with an 8-4 win against David Walker (St. Colman’s). Paul McCook (St. Colman’s) squared the match, beating Liam Ferris (St. Mary’s) by three. In the second half Martin McAleese eased St. Colman’s ahead with a 1 shot win against David Gaile (St. Mary’s). Jordan Mullan won the game and the overall score for St. Mary’s when he beat Aaran Tennant (St. Colman’s) 11-4.

In two postponed games Ballinrees beat Dunloy Presbyterian 5 ½ points to 1 ½ points whilst in Division 2 Moneydig won 6 - 1 against New Row.