It does not get much closer than this.

With only one game left to play first plays second this week to determine who will be League Champions. Thanks to the Marian beating leaders Dunluce last week it now gives second placed Loughanreagh an outside chance of retaining their title.

However Dunluce hold the edge as they are playing at home, plus they also have a points advantage over their rivals.

William McCaw (Marian) played Rodney Kane (Dunluce) in the opening game and Kane just held on to win by two shots. Barry Kane (Dunluce) made it two nil for the visitors with an eight shots to five win against James Martin (Marian). It really looked good for Dunluce when Uel McKeeman (Dunluce) beat Joe Martin (Marian) in a very tight encounter, winning by just one shot. Brian McAlary turned the match in the Marian’s favour, beating Alastair Kilpatrick (Dunluce) 16 shots to three to give his team the bonus points.

Loughanreagh were at home to bottom club Moneydig. Alan Irwin put the home team in front with a 16 shots to seven win against David Wright (Moneydig). Ian Ross (Loughanreagh) added a second win by beating Trevor Workman by three. Alastair Steele (Loughanreagh) made it 3-0 with an 11 shots to five win over John Wallace (Moneydig). Alan McAleese (Moneydig) got his teams’ only point, beating Edwin Irwin (Loughanreagh) 11 shots to seven.

St. Colman’s cemented their fourth place in the league with a home win against St. Mary’s. In a real ding dong game Paul McCook (St. Colman’s) held on to win by one shot against Declan McCann (St. Mary’s). Aidan Cassley levelled the match for St Mary’s again with a one shot advantage over David Walker (St. Colman’s). Martin McAleese put St. Colman’s back in front by beating John Campbell (St. Mary’s) eight shots to four.

In the final game Kenny Carson (St. Colman’s) had an11 shots to seven win against Jordan Mullan (St. Mary’s) to give his team six points.

Ballinrees finished their league programme with a seven points win against Boveedy. Victor Millen (Ballinrees) beat Alan Catherwood (Boveedy) by three shots whilst Uel Gordon went one better beating Ashley McCahon (Boveedy) by four shots. With wins from William Calvin and Stephen Brewster, both Ballinrees, who beat Doughie Morrow and Aaran Tennant (Boveedy) it was a full house for the home team.


Dunloy Presbyterian went to Finvoy Presbyterian trailing their opponents by two points but a great team effort saw them overcome the opposition to win six points to one.

Dunloy Presbyterian are now Division 2 champions and they are promoted up into Division 1 next season. Joe Campbell (Dunloy) held his nerve to gain a one shot advantage over Donna McCloy (Finvoy). The second game was also won by one shot when Thomas Paul (Dunloy) beat Mark Jones (Finvoy), eight shots to seven. Chris Jones put the match back in Finvoy’s favour with a 12 shots to six win against Mark Shaw (Dunloy). However Andrew Sayer’s (Dunloy) rink was on song and they beat Joe Moore (Finvoy) by 11 shots to take the Cup home to Dunloy. Congratulations to Dunloy Presbyterian on winning Division 2.

Killowen entertained First Coleraine and it was the visitors who went home the happier with a six points to one win. Billy Laverty (Killowen) made Robert Campbell (1st. Coleraine) fight all the way before going down by two shots. Robert McClements (Killowen) beat Bryan Shaw (1st. Coleraine) to level the match. With wins from both Jim Campbell and Colin Hutchinson (1st. Coleraine) who beat David Morrison and Sadie Davis (Killowen) respectively the overall score goes to First Coleraine.

Drumreagh brought their consecutive run of winning games to three with this win against Castlerock. Edwin Jackson put the home team on the score sheet with a 14 shots to five win against Ronnie Steele (Castlerock). Carson Boyd extended Drumreagh’s lead by beating Terry Campbell (Castlerock). Jackie Hutchinson pulled a game back for the visitors with an 11 shots to six success against Alastair Walker (Drumreagh). Raymond Clyde (Drumreagh) made sure of the overall score for his team when he beat Victor Callaghan (Castlerock).

New Row travelled out to Garvagh for their last league game this season but it was the hosts who fared best. David Workman (Garvagh) had a big win against Sammy McArthur (New Row) winning by 13 shots. Jonathan Elder stopped the rot with a seven shots to two victory over Elizabeth McCafferty (Garvagh).

Ken McLenaghan (Garvagh) and Mark Callaghan (New Row) could not be separated ending up 7-7. Young Peter Reynolds won the last game of the evening and the match for Garvagh, beating John Graham (New Row) 10 shots to eight.


Would all players who are taking part in the various championships please note the following dates and venues for the play-offs:

Rinks - Ballybrakes Stadium, Monday 11th March at 7.00pm; Triples - Dunluce

Parish, Tuesday 12th March at 6.30pm; Open Pairs - Moneydig Presbyterian, Tuesday

19th March at 7.00pm; Ladies Pairs - Dunloy Presbyterian, Thursday 21st March at 7.00pm; Singles - Dunloy Presbyterian, Thursday 21st March at 7.30pm. Finals night will be held in First Garvagh Presbyterian on Thursday 28th March at 7.15pm.