Loughanreagh crowned NW League champions again

Loughanreagh went to Ballinrees on Wednesday night knowing that they needed two points to become League Champions in Division 1 of the NWIBL.

In the first game Alan Irwin (Loughanreagh) played Uel Gordon (Ballinrees) and in a very tight game Gordon held on to win by two shots. David Calvin (Ballinrees) then played Ian Ross (Loughanreagh)and this time Ross made no mistake winning 10 shots to 3.

Two games gone and only one point on the board for Loughanreagh. Victor Millen (Ballinrees) was drawn against Alastair Steele (Loughanreagh) and Millen’s rink produced some good bowling to win by eight shots.

The tension was rising, was Loughanreagh going to blow it. The outcome of the League rested on the final game with Stephen Brewster (Ballinrees) up against Edwin Irwin. Irwin went into an early lead and maintained his advantage to the end, winning 15 shots to 6. This was the point Loughanreagh was looking for but by also gaining the overall score, Loughanreagh got the three bonus points to leave them sitting clearly at the top. Congratulations to Loughanreagh on their win. They have now won this League an astonishingly thirty times.

Dunluce had played their match with Moneydig on Monday night and had a comfortable 6-1 points win to put some added pressure on Loughanreagh.

St. Mary’s entertained Boveedy this week. David Gaile put the home team in front with a fine 11shots to 3 win against Doughie Morrow. John Graham (St. Mary’s) then beat namesake Margaret Graham to give St. Mary’s a 7 shot lead at the break. Boveedy fared no better in the second half with Declan McCann and Jordan Mullan, both St. Mary’s , easily beating Ashley McCahon and Alan Catherwood respectively.

In a derby match, Second Kilrea playing at home, took on the Marian. Margaret Johnston (2nd. Kilrea) played Brian McAlary and in a very keenly fought contest the rinks could not be separated ending up seven shots each. Joe Martin got the visitors in front when he beat Stephen Arbuthnot 9 shots to 4. Hugh Paul (2nd. KIlrea) evened the match with a one shot victory against William McCaw. James Martin (Marian) got the winning points for his team with a deserved win against Ivan Smyth.

Drumreagh march on in Division 2 after this big win against Castlerock. It did not look too promising for the home team when Victor Callaghan beat Sammy Martin 9 shots to 4 in the first game. Raymond Clyde then steadied the ship for the home team with a crushing 11 shots win against Brian Wilson. Martin Marks (Drumreagh )had a 1 shot win over Ronnie Steele. Carson Boyd (Drumreagh)made sure of the overall win with a heavy defeat against Jackie Hutchinson.

Inevitably St. Colman’s had a win in their match with First Coleraine. John Simpson (St. Colman’s) played Robert Campbell and won 12 shots to 8 shots. Martin McAleese then took on Jim Campbell (1st. Coleraine). McAleese raced into an early lead but Campbell clawed his way back, winning three ends in a row. It was not enough however and St. Colman’s ran out comfortable winners. Paul McCook (St. Colman’s) in his game with Colin Hutchinson won the first two ends. Hutchinson came back at him and the game sea-sawed right up to the end with McCook winning by 2 shots. David Walker (St. Colman’s) was up against Clifford Mclernon. Walker was much too strong and eased to a 14 shots to 8 shots win. This win leaves St. Colman’s 11 points clear at top of Division 2.