Marian go top of Division One

The Marian took full advantage of league leaders Dunluce having no game this week, to go top of Division 1.

The Marian’s opponents were St. Mary’s and although there were three close matches the Marian’s supremacy showed in the end and they picked up the full seven points. James Martin (Marian) beat Declan McCann (St. Mary’s) by one shot. Joe Martin (Marian) was up against David Gaile (St. Mary’s) and won 14 shots to five. Jordan Mullan (St. Mary’s) made Brian McAlary (Marian) fight all the way but McAlary held on to win by nine shots to eight. William McCaw (Marian) then won by five shots against John Campbell (St. Mary’s).

St. Colman’s entertained Boveedy and in a one-sided game they also lifted all seven points. David Walker (St. Colman’s) played Alan Catherwood and won 11 shots to five. Paul McCook (St. Colman’s) then beat Aaran Tennant (Boveedy) 10 shots to seven. In the second half Ashley McCahon (Boveedy) went down by five shots to Martin McAleese (St. Colman’s). In the final game Kenny Carson got the bonus points for the home team with a convincing win over Doughie Morrow (Boveedy).

Second Kilrea was at home to Moneydig. This was a very tight affair with only two shots separating these two teams who are hovering at the lower end of the league table. Margaret Johnston (Kilrea) won by one shot in her game with John Wallace (M’dig). Ivan Smyth (Kilrea) lost by seven shots to eight against Trevor Workman (M’dig). Willie Knight then eased the visitors in front when he beat Nicky McCaw (Kilrea) by two shots. The deciding game was Brian McGrath (Kilrea) against Alan McAleese (M’dig) with McGrath just edging it to win by 11 shots to seven.

New Row have been overtaken at the top of Division 2 by Dunloy Presbyterrian. Division 2 is getting very tight with only seven points separating the top five teams. Dunloy went top, courtesy of wining six points in their match with Drumreagh.

The visitors got off to a great start when a buoyant Carson Boyd beat Mark Shaw (D’loy) 14 shots to two. Stephen Dunlop (D’loy) then beat Raymond Clyde (D’reagh) to reduce the deficit to 10 shots at half time. Great displays from Joe Campbell and Wesley Caldwell, both Dunloy, who beat Aubrey Walker and Martin Marks (D’reagh)respectively, saw Dunloy safely home.

New Row made the long trip out to Finvoy and was only able to get a single point. Mark Callaghan (New Row) took on and beat Robert McShane (F’voy) 10 shots to five. Gary McCloy then eased the home team in front at the break with a 13 shots win against Joe Elkin (New Row). Chris Jones (F’voy) had to pull out all the stops to overcome Sammy McArthur (New Row)wining by just one shot. In a battle of the heavyweights, Joe Moore (F’voy) beat Jonathan Elder (New Row) by eight shots to earn his team six valuable points.

Castlerock jump up to third place in the league with this big home win against lowly Killowen. Ronnie Steele (C’rock) beat Billy Laverty (Killowen) by 12 shots to eight. Brian Wilson kept the momentum going for the “Rock” with a seven-shots victory over Harry Sweeney (Killowen). Robert McClements (Killowen) pushed Jackie Hutchinson (C’rock) all the way but in the end went down nine shots to five. Victor Callaghan (C’rock) secured all seven points in his win against Sadie Davis (Killowen).

First Coleraine hang on to fifth place in the league thanks to this home win against Garvagh/District). David Workman put the visitors in front with a two shot victory over Robert Campbell (C’raine). Bryan Shaw (C’raine then beat Elizabeth McCafferty (G’vagh) to level the match. Colin Hutchinson increased the home teams’ lead with a 12 shots to six win against Ian Reynolds (G’vagh) and Jim Campbell made sure of the overall score for First Coleraine when he beat Geoffery Boyce (G’vagh).