Second Kilrea maintain excellent start to season

editorial image

What a start Second Kilrea have made to this years’ League campaign.

Last year they were fighting to stay in the top flight but after three matches this year, they are League leaders.

It did not start too well for the visitors as Brian McGrath lost the opening game, going down to Andrew Wallace (Boveedy) by three shots. The match was all square at the break with Ivan Smyth (Kilrea) beating Robert Sufferin (Boveedy) 12-5.

Nicky McCaw eased Second Kilrea in front with a nine shots win against Alan Catherwood (Boveedy) and Stephen Arbuthnot made sure of the overall win for Kilrea with a 12-6 victory over Doughie Morrow (Boveedy).

What a scare Loughanreagh got in their away match with Ballinrees. Victor Millen drew first blood for the hosts when he beat Ian Ross (Loughanreagh) by 1 shot. Allister Steele steadied the boat for Loughanreagh with an 8-6 win against Andrew Kelly (Ballinrees).

In the second half both games were very tight. David Calvin (Ballinrees) drew with Alan Irwin (Loughanreagh) seven shots apiece and William Calvin (Ballinrees) and Nigel Gamble (Loughanreagh) also finished 7-7 which gave Loughanreagh the overall score by just 1 shot.

Last years’ title holders, St. Colman’s, hosted the Marian in what was again a very tense affair. Paul McCook put the home team on the score board with a 10-9 win against Aidan Cassley (Marian). David Walker (St. Colman’s) made it two nil with a one shot win over Brian McAlary (Marian).

In the second half Aaran Tennant (St. Colman’s) and James Martin (Marian) could not be separated each scoring nine shots. It all depended on the final game but William McCaw (Marian) beat Martin McAleese (St. Colman’s) to earn the bonus points for the Marian.

St. Mary’s were up against a weakened Finvoy Presbyterian team and took full advantage to run out easy winners. David Gaile set them on their way with an 11-5 win against Joe Moore (Finvoy). Chris Jones fought back in the second game to beat Jim Graham (St. Mary’s) and square the match.

Adam Hunter then eased the visitors ahead with a fine win over Jordan Mullan (St. Mary’s), winning by five shots. Declan McCann steadied the ship for St. Mary’s when he beat Robert McShane (Finvoy) comfortably to give his team the extra points.

Division 2 got up and running this week and with both Moneydig and Dunloy Presbyterian winning their respective games it looks very much like a two horse race even at this early stage of the season.

Moneydig entertained Drumreagh and picked up 6 ½ points. Trevor Workman (Moneydig) had an easy win over Raymond Clyde (Drumreagh). It was 2-0 at the break when Brian McFetridge (Moneydig) beat Carson Boyd (Drumreagh) 12-8. There was no let- up in the second half as William Knight (Moneydig) overcame Andy Campbell (Drumreagh) 13-8 shots.

Garvagh and District have also made a good start to the season with a win against 1st. Coleraine.