St Colman’s crowned league champions

St Colman's players celebrate winning the league title last week.
St Colman's players celebrate winning the league title last week.

St. Colman’s are champions of the North West Indoor Bowling League.

They are worthy champions having been in contention throughout the whole League campaign.

In their final match they required four points to ensure Championship status but in the end they won comfortably against Boveedy, picking up six points to finish 3.5 points ahead of second place, Marian. St. Mary’s finish in third spot.

Paul McCook put St. Colman’s on the first rung of success when he beat John Hunter (Boveedy) 16 shots to four shots. David Walker made it two nil at the break for St. Colman’s beating Alan Catherwood (Boveedy) 11 shots to five shots.

The second half was much closer and Malcom Campbell pulled a game back for Boveedy with a hard fought one shot victory over Aaran Tennant (St. Colman’s).

Martin McAleese settled the frayed nerves of his team and ensured victory for St. Colman’s with a nine shots to seven shots win against Ashley McCahon (Boveedy). Congratulations to St. Colman’s for winning the North West Indoor League for the first time.

The Marian, who mathematically could have won the League, took on third place St. Mary’s.

The Marian were looking for a big win to put some pressure on League leaders’ St. Colman’s. However they met a very determined St. Mary’s who in fact won three out of the four games to lift three points but also basically put the Marian out of the running for League honours.

It started well for the Marian when Brian McAlary beat Liam Ferris 12 shots to four shots. Jordan Mullan squared the match with an eight shots to six shots win against James Martin (Marian).

Declan McCann then got St. Mary’s second point when he beat William McCaw (Marian) by two shots. David Gaile continued St. Mary’s supremacy with a 13 shots to 12 shots win over Aidan Cassley (Marian).

In a precursor to next weeks’ Morrison Trophy semi- final, Loughanreagh took on Dunluce and the former had a very comfortable win.

Edwin Irwin got Loughanreagh’s first point with a 12 shots to five shots win against Alastair Kirkpatrick (Dunluce).

Uel McKeeman levelled the match beating Ian Ross (Loughanreagh) 13 shots to four shots. After the break Alastair Steele and Alan Irwin, both Loughanreagh beat Barry Kane and Rodney Kane (Dunluce) respectively.

In the battle for relegation, Second Kilrea took on Dunloy Presbyterian. In the first game Ivan Smyth (Kilrea) beat Thomas Paul (Dunloy) 12 shots to four shots.

Mark McCullagh responded well for Dunloy with a 14 shots to three shots win against Margaret Johnston (Kilrea). This left Dunloy three shots up at half time and all to play for.

Mark Shaw put Dunloy further ahead when he beat Nicky McCaw (Kilrea) by six shots. It was squeaky bum time for Second Kilrea for they still needed one more point to avoid the drop.

There was never any doubt however for Brian McGrath had a big win over the usually consistent Stephen Dunlop (Dunloy) to gain the bonus points for Second Kilrea. This defeat means that Dunloy Presbyterian is relegated to Division 2.