St Mary’s close the gap on the league leaders St Colman’s

editorial image

League matches resumed this week in the North West Indoor Bowling League.

St. Colman’s are still top but St. Mary’s have eaten into their lead and are now just one and a half points behind although St. Colman’s have the luxury of having a match in hand. .Ballinrees entertained Loughanreagh this week and although only four shots separated the teams, Ballinrees lifted six points. This result has left Loughanreagh with a steep, but not unsurmountable hill to climb to catch up on the leaders. Jonathan Calvin (B’rees ) beat Ian Ross (L’reagh) 11-5. Victor Millen (B’rees) had 1 shot to spare over Edwin Irwin (L’reagh).Alan Irwin gave Loughanreagh some hope with a fine win against William Calvin (B’rees) but Uel Gordon (B’rees) secured the overall win by beating Alastair Steele (L’reagh) by two shots.

St.Mary’s was at home to Dunloy Presbyterian and had three winning rinks. David Gaile set the ball rolling for St. Mary’s when he beat David Caldwell (D’loy) 12-6. Declan McCann (St. Mary’s) showed no mercy against Thomas Paul (D’loy), winning by a large margin. Dunloy gained their only win with Stephen Dunlop getting the better of Harold Kelly (St. Mary’s), but the agony continued for the visitors when Liam Ferris won his match against Wallace Watton.

In a bottom of the League clash, Second Kilrea, have moved away from the relegation zone by beating Boveedy. In the first game Brian McGrath (Kilrea) and Andrew Wallace (Boveedy) could not be separated on 7-7. Margaret Johnston put Second Kilrea into the lead with a six shots win over Robert Sufferin (B’veedy). Ashley McCahon showed a glimmer of hope for the home team with a win against Ivan Smyth (Kilrea) but any thoughts of an overall result for Boveedy were dashed when Nicky McCaw overcame Doughie Morrow (B’veedy) by four shots.

The Marian made the long trip out to Dervock to play St. Colman’s. David Walker got the first point for the hosts with a 7 shots victory over Aidan Cassley (Marian). James Martin (Marian) levelled the match with a 10-7 win against Paul McCook (St. Colman’s). Aaran Tennant restored St. Colman’s lead with a fine win over Brian McAlary (Marian) but there were some anxious moments for St. Colman’s when William McCaw (Marian) beat Martin McAleese (St. Colman’s) by 8 shots but McCaw’s victory just fell short of securing the overall score.

It now looks as if Division 2 is down to a two horse race between Finvoy Presbyterian and Moneydig.

Moneydig was away to Castlerock and came home with 5 points. It did not look too good for the visitors when Brian Wilson (Castlerock) beat Willie Knight (M’dig) 14 shots to 4 shots in the first game. Trevor Workman (M’dig) squared the match with a good win against Jackie Hutchinson (C’rock). Alan McAleese increased Moneydig’s lead by beating Victor Callaghan (C’rock) but in the final game Ronnie Steele got Castlerock’s second point when he overcame Brian McFetridge (M’dig) 8 shots to 6 shots.

Garvagh and District took on Drumreagh and had a fine home win. However it was Drumreagh who took the lead when Carson Boyd beat Ken McClenaghan (G’vagh) by 1 shot. David Workman (G’vagh) and Raymond Clyde (D’reagh), played out a ten all draw. Geoffery Boyce put Garvagh back into the lead, beating Aubrey Walker (D’reagh) 10 shots to 7 shots. In another very tight encounter Edwin Jackson (D’reagh) beat Ian Reynolds (G’vagh) 10 shots to 9 shots to get Drumreagh another point.

Ist. Coleraine was looking for revenge for their loss in last weeks’ match against Finvoy in the Morrison Trophy. It was not to be and again Finvoy went home with a smile on their face. Roy Hunter (Finvoy) was too wily for Clifford McLernon (C’raine) and won 18 shots to 7 shots. It was a closer affair on mat two but Finvoy earned their second point when Gary McCloy (F’voy) beat John Weeks by 4 shots. Jim Campbell pulled a game back for 1st. Coleraine with a good win against Joe Moore (F’voy). Chris Jones sealed the victory for Finvoy by beating John Camac (C’raine) 9 shots to 5 shots.