St Mary’s see off Dunluce to stay at the top

editorial image

St Mary’s Aghadowey continue to lead the way at the top of the North West Indoor League Division One following the latest round of fixtures last week.

Dunluce travelled to St. Mary’s knowing that they needed a win to stay in contention for league honours. St. Mary’s however had other ideas, winning three of the four games and drawing the remaining game. At half time only one shot separated both teams. David Gaile (St. Mary’s) beat Rodney Kane (Dunluce) 10-9 and Declan McCann (St. Mary’s) and Alastair Kirkpatrick (Dunluce) shared an 8-8 draw. Jordan Mullan (St. Mary’s) beat Uel McKeeman (Dunluce) and Harold Kelly (St. Mary’s) had six shots to spare in his game against Barry Kane (Dunluce,) giving St. Mary’s a valuable 6.5 points.

St. Colman’s entertained Loughanreagh and it turned out to be an intense match. Ian Ross put the visitors one up when he narrowly defeated Paul McCook (St. Colman’s) by three shots. David Walker evened the match with a 14-6 win against Alastair Steele. Edwin Irwin (Loughanreagh) then eased his team ahead, beating Martin McAleese (St. Colman’s) 9-5. Aaran Tennant made sure of the points for St. Colman’s with a 10-6 win over Alan Irwin (Loughanreagh).

Ballinrees ran out easy winners in their match with Second Kilrea. Victor Millen (Ballinrees) beat Brian McGrath (2nd. KIlrea) by one shot. Uel Gordon (Ballinrees) kept his winning streak going, winning 9-6 against Margaret Johnston (2nd. Kilrea). William Calvin and Jonathan Calvin, both Ballinrees, won their respective games against Nicky McCaw and Ivan Smyth (2nd. Kilrea), and all seven points went to the hosts.

Boveedy climbed two places, with a fine win against bottom team, Dunloy Presbyterian. Alan Catherwood sent them on their way, beating Joe Campbell (Dunloy), 16-3. Robert Sufferin made it 2-0 for Boveedy winning by five against Mark Shaw (Dunloy). As in their match last week, Dunloy Presbyterian fought back in the second, half winning both their games. Philip Paul (Dunloy) beat Doughie Morrow (Boveedy) and Stephen Dunlop (Dunloy) won by seven shots against Ashley McCahon.

Finvoy Presbyterian had to fight all the way for the points against First Coleraine. The match looked over at half time with Finvoy having a 12 shots advantage. It was Jim Campbell (1st. Coleraine) who put the frighteners on Finvoy with a fine eight shots win against Adam Hunter (Finvoy) who won the last two ends to give his side the overall win.

Moneydig was at home to Castlerock but it was the visitors who drew first blood when Brian Wilson beat Alan McAleese (Moneydig) 12 shots to 11 shots. Trevor Workman (Moneydig) levelled the match beating Jackie Hutchinson (Castlerock) 12 shots to 4 shots. Brian McFetridge (Moneydig) won 12 shots to 6 shots in his game with Terry Campbell (Castlerock). In the final game Robbie Steele (Castlerock) went down by 5 shots, playing Willie Knight (Moneydig).

Garvagh and District travelled to Drumreagh in a bottom of the League table clash. Drumreagh started the better and both their first half rinks won. Raymond Clyde (Drumreagh) beat David Workman (Garvagh) and Carson Boyd (Drumreagh) had 4 shots to spare in his tussle with Elizabeth McCafferty (Garvagh). Ken McLenaghan then clawed a point back for Garvagh and District, beating young Jason Clayton 11 shots to 8 shots. In the final game Garvagh won another half point with Geoffery Boyce and Aubrey Walker (Drumreagh) drawing 9 shots apiece.