Dunluce’s one shot win over St. Mary’s means that they now share top position with Loughanreagh in Division 1.

St. Mary’s lead by 13 shots at the break and looked likely winners thanks to two great wins from Declan McCann and Aidan Cassley who beat Rodney Kane and Alastair Kirkpatrick respectively. However with Uel McKeeman (Dunluce) beating Jordan Mullan (St. Mary’s) 16 shots to 10 and Barry Kane (Dunluce) winning against Jim Graham (St. Mary’s) by eight shots, Dunluce went home happy with five points.

St. Colman’s put a dent in Loughanreagh’s hopes of winning the league with a hard fought win at home. David Walker (St. Colman’s) went down to Ian Ross (L’reagh) by two shots. Paul McCook (St. C’man’s) levelled the match with a six shot victory over Alan Irwin (L’reagh).

Martin McAleese eased St. Colman’s in front when he beat Edwin Irwin (L’reagh), nine shots to seven and although Alastair Steele (L’reagh) beat Kenny Carson (St. Colman’s) by two shots it was not enough to get the overall score and so the bonus points went to the home team.

Ballinrees returned to winning form with a comprehensive win against Second Kilrea. Brian McGrath (2nd. K’rea) had no answer to Victor Millen (B’rees) going down by four shots to 17. Uel Gordon (B’rees) beat Nicky McCaw (2nd. K’rea) by four shots to leave the home team 2-0 up at half time. Two further wins from Jonathan Calvin and William Calvin, both Ballinrees who beat Margaret Johnston and Ivan Smyth (2nd. K’rea) meant that all seven points went to the home team.

In the final game in Division 1, Boveedy beat Moneydig. In a very close encounter, Ashley McCahon (Boveedy) just hung on to win by one shot against Alan McAleese (M’dig).

Alan Catherwood (Boveedy) then beat Willie Knight (M’dig), 13 shots to six. Trevor Workman pulled a game back for Moneydig with a nine shots to eight win against Doughie Morrow. Arran Tennant secured the overall win for Boveedy when he beat John Wallace by one shot.

Division 2 is also heating up nicely with three teams, namely Dunloy Presbyterian, Finvoy Presbyterian and New Row all within 5.5 points of each other.

Finvoy were at home to First Coleraine and won with ease. Gary McCloy (F’voy) beat Robert Campbell (Coleraine) 13 shots to four while over on mat two Donna McCloy (Finvoy) got the better of Bryan Shaw (C’raine) winning 12 shots to three. It did not get any better in the second half for First Coleraine with Chris Jones and Joe Moore (Finvoy) having easy wins against Jim Campbell and Colin Hutchinson (Coleraine).

New Row playing at home had quite a fright before securing a one shot win against Killowen.

Sam McArthur opened New Row’s account with a 9 shots to six victory over Robert McClements (K’owen). Billy Laverty (K’owen) evened the match when he got the better of Mark Callaghan (New Row), winning by four shots. Jonathan Elder (New Row) and Sadie Davis (K’owen) could not be separated ending up 10 shots apiece. Joe Elkin got the bonus points for New Row by overcoming a determined David Morrison (K’owen) 11 shots to seven.

Having lost the last three games Drumreagh got back on track with a home win against Garvagh and District. Carson Boyd (D’reagh) played David Livingston (Garvagh) and came out on top with an 8 shots win. Raymond Clyde (D’reagh) and David Workman (Garvagh) had a ding-dong battle with Clyde getting the win by just one shot. Ken McLenaghan (Garvagh) got his team’s solitary point by beating Edwin Jackson (D’reagh) 12 shots to nine. Aubrey Walker made sure of the home win with a resounding victory against Geoffrey Boyce (Garvagh).

In the remaining game Dunloy playing at home got all seven points against Castlerock.


Benvarden having beaten Ballintoy are now in the semi-final of the above competition and await the winners of Ballinres/Boveedy. In the remaining two quarter final matches, Loughanragh play Second Kilrea and St. Mary’s are drawn against Killaig. These games should be played before February 17th.


A pairs tournament, confined to players who belong to the Northern Zone will be held in the Ballybrakes Indoor Stadium on Friday 15 February. Play commences at 7.15pm. Entries to be sent to Clifford McLernon, 13 Willan Drive, Portrush, BT56 8PU. Or via phone on 07726335345.

Entries close on Saturday 9th February.